• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got close at NMCA Norwalk

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:06 AM
Reaction score
Had a pretty decent weekend. Started with I-275 at I-94 with no signs until you right there great. Got around that and on my way. Heard a light "pop" on I-75. Saw nothing felt nothing. Stopped for fuel an hour later to discover the front right tire on the trailer destroyed. Great runbber all over the side of the trailer. Along with some steel belt rash on the fender. Get that swapped and make it to the track 15 minutes before thay lock the gates on Thursday. Friday we had the car set to run 9.25. The temp, humidity, barometer matched up pretty close to other events this summer. Set the car for 9.25. It left like a slug. No wheelie, 1.38 60 ft. [email protected]. No wheel spin, normal incrementals the rest of the run. Even with the timing pulled back to 27 total and 75-150 lbs ballast it's always bertter than that. Threw that run out thinking maybe the car was to cold/warm. Set up for Q1. Same result, 1.377, [email protected]. They cancel Q2 due to a 3 hr rain delay. I hate to put timing back in it as Sundays weather looks to be much better. Then we don't have enough ballast to slow it. So I'll live with it. Set up for a 9.25 on Q2 Saturday. Of course now the 60 gains a bit 1.35,9.218@146,59.
Talk to a few guys that I know are pretty smart tuners. The only change in the car from the last outing is a vacuum leak repair at the carb shear plates. The general concensius is that with the timing pulled back, high water grains in the air (over 100) that its probably rich. Also verfied when i was told it smokes black at the hit. can't change anything now as rd 1 is coming up. Get past rd 1 with a .013 R/T and a off the throttle 9.31. Rd 2 my opponent is a no show. Run it out. had it set to go 9.240-9.260 depending on the wind which was rapidly changing from 1 mph-10mph coming right down the track. It ran .013 R/T 1.344, [email protected]. The reason? 60 ft pickked up .01, wind fell to 2 mph. Tricky weather for sure. Rd 3 I have to face my friend Dave with the 67 Satelite that I've been working on (see other posts). Neither one of us is going to lay down. Set up for a 9.255. I go -.003 red [email protected] This time wind is 6 mph. Dave goes -.016 red 9.999@134. On to the 4th rd. Down to the last 3 cars. I'm facing the current points leader David Horton. Set up my best guess with the changing wind for 9.250. I have no fear from my previous red light. I'm going to hit it hard. When staging it's up at 3200 rpm. So you can't bump it into the bottom stage light. It takes a very light feel raising the brake pedal until it starts to slowly creap. Then jam the brake hard when the bulb just lights. But this time it flickered on/off/on/off/on etc. I don't want to get timed out so it needs another move forward. It went about 1" according to those watching. To much, -.016 red [email protected] to his .040, 10.757 on a 10.75. My day is over. David's opponent in the final can't fire and he wins the event. Thats the breaks. We'll try again in 2 weeks.
Doug

Last edited:
It’s a real struggle some times.
Hopefully you were in the money.

I was coming from 42 Saturday after a .0009 breakout in the 2nd round, which I would have won otherwise.
That was my 17th trip this year, and I don’t think I came home happy from one of them.

You still did a great Job.
Congratulations!
My strategy is different in Nostalgia racing =
I try to hold 1 or 2 and just work the finish like an Eagle especially
when I am chasing which you usually are. But there are many ways
to skin the Cat.
Our Nostalgia racing has totally disappeared out West.

You still did a great Job.
Congratulations!
My strategy is different in Nostalgia racing =
I try to hold 1 or 2 and just work the finish like an Eagle especially
when I am chasing which you usually are. But there are many ways
to skin the Cat.
Our Nostalgia racing has totally disappeared out West.
Some times I hold, sometimes not. Always changing it up. This weekend was tough with the wind. My car is a brick. At my speed it can move the car 2 or 3 numbers. In the right conditions most of theses guys can be .02 or better off index. Stripe can get pretty tight. If your set to go under and have the better light you may be in trouble. This weekend it was who made the right call on the wind. My last run it had been 5-8 mph from 8 degrees in the last 5 minutes before the run. During the run it was 2 mph from 8 degrees. When I went in too deep it slowed the 60 ft. That is why it was as close as it was at 9.248. With the wind it was going to be around 9.225. Thats why I set for 9.250 at the 5-8 mph average gust.
Doug

AT LVMS the Desert Winds change ever minute.
You can no longer change you dial in after the line that
is way around the corner 10 cars back from the front of
staging and around to corner with no view of track.
At the National Race in the finals a few years ago from the time I did
my Burnout to Staging it went from a strong tailwind
to a strong headwind. I was racing the 318 Aspen Wagon
that is not only a Brick but a darn slow one at that!
I was racing my buddy Larry Gilley in his 340 Dart that won Indy in stock
just a couple years ago and I had the light but the wind picked me
up and I had no way to see the change inside the car!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back