• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got some vibrations happening.....

CandianRunner69

Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have a 69 RR Clone with a 440 - 4 speed. I have developed a vibration between 40 kms and 50 kms. I can feel it in a turn whether it is right or left. I haven't had it before. Car just recently was upgraded from Fiberglass fenders to new steel and new steel hood. This is the only change. Wheel bearings were done 18 months ago. Last night I jacked the nose and noticed a little play in the up and down. I would say the passenger side felt like it had about a 16th to and 8th of play while the drivers side was considerably less. I did not notice any play in the steering. Attached are some pics..... Looking for some insight from more experienced people.

20210906_182329.jpg 20210906_182212sml.jpg

Old tires? going out of round? Developed flat spots from being parked a while? Or maybe mud on the back side of the rim or some grease build up. Or maybe it's time to re-balance the tires ? ? ? ?

Are you describing possible front wheel bearing 'play' by pulling/pushing on the tires? Did you do the fender/hood swap work or have it done? Reckon you know about some of the simple things to look for...wheel weights, inflation. Does the car track straight...no indication of an alignment issue? A young mechanic took my brother out (knowing he was a mechanic back when) for a thrilling 'test ride' in an awesome muscle car...he beat the living **** out of it on a rough road getting my brother quite unimpressed...concern? Well it was a customer's car he had brought in for repairs. Not to say this could have happened; but I don't trust anyone. Anyway, if you detected some play you could check out the bearings and re-pack them.

Old tires? going out of round? Developed flat spots from being parked a while? Or maybe mud on the back side of the rim or some grease build up. Or maybe it's time to re-balance the tires ? ? ? ?
Tires are pretty new... I was thinking about a rebalance... wondering if the extra weight on the nose might have an impact... that's the only difference from June to present

Are you describing possible front wheel bearing 'play' by pulling/pushing on the tires? Did you do the fender/hood swap work or have it done? Reckon you know about some of the simple things to look for...wheel weights, inflation. Does the car track straight...no indication of an alignment issue? A young mechanic took my brother out (knowing he was a mechanic back when) for a thrilling 'test ride' in an awesome muscle car...he beat the living **** out of it on a rough road getting my brother quite unimpressed...concern? Well it was a customer's car he had brought in for repairs. Not to say this could have happened; but I don't trust anyone. Anyway, if you detected some play you could check out the bearings and re-pack them.

Yes the play i feel is from pulling and pushing on the wheel in the vertical motion (top and bottom of tire). I planned on checking the bearing again this weekend. Bearings were replaced 18 months ago. The car does track straight. And yes... the hood and fender were replaced in later August.

Tires are pretty new... I was thinking about a rebalance... wondering if the extra weight on the nose might have an impact... that's the only difference from June to present

Tires never stay balanced. I balance my own tires. And when I can't get rid of a vibration. I jack the tire up off the ground about 1/16th of an inch, or a couple of mm's and spin the wheel to see if it's true. And usally it's not. So then it's a bad tire or bent rim.

Tires never stay balanced. I balance my own tires. And when I can't get rid of a vibration. I jack the tire up off the ground about 1/16th of an inch, or a couple of mm's and spin the wheel to see if it's true. And usally it's not. So then it's a bad tire or bent rim.

I did that last night to make sure as well... it ran pretty true... but that doesn't rule out that it still may need a balance. I'll pull the front this weekend and get them done next week. cheap test anyway.

If you are feeling it in a turn I sounds like a bearing getting rough.

Hey Everyone,
I have a 69 RR Clone with a 440 - 4 speed. I have developed a vibration between 40 kms and 50 kms. I can feel it in a turn whether it is right or left. I haven't had it before. Car just recently was upgraded from Fiberglass fenders to new steel and new steel hood. This is the only change. Wheel bearings were done 18 months ago. Last night I jacked the nose and noticed a little play in the up and down. I would say the passenger side felt like it had about a 16th to and 8th of play while the drivers side was considerably less. I did not notice any play in the steering. Attached are some pics..... Looking for some insight from more experienced people.

View attachment 1173244 View attachment 1173245
Only while turning? If you get it all the time at that speed just balance the tires. If you feel it only in the steering wheel you just need to balance the front. If you feel it only in the seat balance the rear tires. Or just do them all to cover all your bases. But like another poster has said, a car setting a long time can develop flat spots that should go away after some driving and getting the tires good and warmed up.

Issue seems to be resolved. I took the front wheels off last night... got at the wheel bearings and found the bearing nuts had backed off a little bit... passenger side took about 6mm to snug it up and drivers side was about 2mm. reinstated the nut cap and cotter pin.... Took it for a rip... I had no vibrations at all... again something very simple... Next question.... Can I put a drop of thread lock on the bearing nut to help it for backing off. Not sure how it happened in the first place.

Thanks again for everyone comments and insight. All of it appreciated.

It should be a castle nut maybe with a sheet metal molded cover going over the nut; mount the cotter pin and the nut shouldn't back off.

Auto Transport Service
Back