• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great voices in the entertainment industry

How could I have forgotten Mr Freeman ??

Every week I looked forward to listening to Casey Kasem and the American Top 40.

Casey-Kasem-lores-268x300.jpg

....long distance dedications..... :thumbsup:

I miss the days of Casey on the air waves.. good times

Aldo Ray had a grhttps://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=aldo+ray+how+he+became+an+actoravelly voice. How he became an actor.

While not a deep, baritone, THIS guy sure made ladies swoon...

I thought this Iggy pop voice over commercial was cool, from a few years ago:

Ryan Seacrest is considered by many to be the top music presenter in US radio.
Top-10-Radio-Presenters-Ryan-Seacrest.jpg

James Earl Jones / Darth Vader

DJ's ? Radio ? Cousin Brucie, Murray the K, Harry Harrison, Dan Ingram, Dennis Elsas, Pete Fornatale, Nightbird Allison Steel, Zacherly, Scott Muni, Carol Miller, Ron Lundy, Vin Scelsas... voices that paved the radio road of the youth in the NY metro area

Many radio "voices" come not only from genetics, but from equipment. Knowing how to truly use a microphone, can have amazing results - and broadcasters and performers alike, who are serious about their craft, will carry their own mic with them at all times instead of simply using "house" gear for a performance.

"I sound different on the phone/radio/video recording" is very true. Proximity, angle, filters, brand/model of mic, not to mention post-input filters and EQs, can completely alter your voice - and that's not counting things like the goofy tone-generation "altering" software. For example, using a Shure Beta 87C, you can get a LOT more low tones if you put a wind filter on it, get super close, and talk quietly. Step back 4" and talk normally? You get a more mid-tone. Move back even further, and belt it out? COMPLETELY different sound. Move off to one side or the other? Massive attenuation, which is great for singers - all they have to do is move to the side to "fade" their voice some, instead of straining their vocal cords to get the same result. Dedicated studio microphones (the 87C is a live performance mic) are similarly "workable" based on their pickup patterns, frequency response, etc etc.

Not a broadcaster per se, but an amazing voice, is David Draiman of Disturbed.

Most folks know Disturbed for:

But...David has an AMAZING voice. Example (safe for the non-metal-heads out there - TRUST me, you need to listen to this):

Many radio "voices" come not only from genetics, but from equipment. Knowing how to truly use a microphone, can have amazing results - and broadcasters and performers alike, who are serious about their craft, will carry their own mic with them at all times instead of simply using "house" gear for a performance.

"I sound different on the phone/radio/video recording" is very true. Proximity, angle, filters, brand/model of mic, not to mention post-input filters and EQs, can completely alter your voice - and that's not counting things like the goofy tone-generation "altering" software. For example, using a Shure Beta 87C, you can get a LOT more low tones if you put a wind filter on it, get super close, and talk quietly. Step back 4" and talk normally? You get a more mid-tone. Move back even further, and belt it out? COMPLETELY different sound. Move off to one side or the other? Massive attenuation, which is great for singers - all they have to do is move to the side to "fade" their voice some, instead of straining their vocal cords to get the same result. Dedicated studio microphones (the 87C is a live performance mic) are similarly "workable" based on their pickup patterns, frequency response, etc etc.

Not a broadcaster per se, but an amazing voice, is David Draiman of Disturbed.

Most folks know Disturbed for:

But...David has an AMAZING voice. Example (safe for the non-metal-heads out there - TRUST me, you need to listen to this):

Another one with a truly operatic voice - but then, he has that background in his childhood.
Yet still others are Geoff Tate (formerly of Queensryche) - friggin NUTS the range he had in earlier life
(look up "Take Hold of the Flame" from them and within the first 30 seconds, you'll be blown away);
even Rob Halford of Judas Priest could rip a mans' head clean off with his powerful voice when younger.
(I was at a JP concert in the old Washington DC Capitol Centre in the early 80's when they lost power on
stage; after a couple minutes, he walked out on stage, tried the mic, then threw it down and let loose
a high note that literally blew all 18,000 in the audience away!
I've never seen anything like it since...)

I always liked this scene...
"DRINK IT".

Auto Transport Service
Back