• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Wire by Wiper Switch?

JR_Charger

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
green_wiper_switch_wire_02.JPG

green_wiper_switch_wire_01.JPG

What is this blue/green wire that disappears up into the hole for the wiper switch?

Not original, isn’t that the same wire that was connected to the radio support strap. Likely an attempt to add an extra ground connection for the cluster frame. Really not necessary if the original cluster ground is still in place. The radio chassis would also ground the cluster frame to support strap, then to the dash frame. Wipers won't park if the switch has a ground issue.

Not original, isn’t that the same wire that was connected to the radio support strap. Likely an attempt to add an extra ground connection for the cluster frame. Really not necessary if the original cluster ground is still in place. The radio chassis would also ground the cluster frame to support strap, then to the dash frame. Wipers won't park if the switch has a ground issue.

It is indeed that same wire. I wish I knew the backstory on this!

IIRC the FSM shows the cluster grounding through 4 screws at the top. Something like that. Was there another ground? Isn't there one in the big round loom that plugs into the back of the cluster?

Yep, Rallye dash, 18ga black wire from a tab on the volt limiter mounting bracket to the dash frame ground screw on the left side of the dash frame. It's taped up in the dash harness.
cluster ground.jpg

Last edited:
Hold on, wiper switch above the radio? That's a standard cluster, cluster ground is in the round circuit board connector, pin D, same circuit code X10A-18BK. Pretty sure the 4 screws you are referring to are the circuit board to cluster mounting screws on the standard cluster, indicated in FSM diagram as grounds.
cluster ground2.jpg

Last edited:
I believe you're right about the circuit board to cluster mounting screws. I looked along the top of the cluster, and only two screws on the top .

Auto Transport Service
Back