• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ground cable from intake to neg. battery post gets warm/hot.

Cable still looks good.

People say this **** all the time, weather it's cable, wires, or hoses, thinking that it's not the problem when in actuality it is! Just cause something looks good doesn't mean it is!

I wanted to keep the original ground cable, painted the same color (turquoise) as the engine. But I guess there comes a time I have to replace it.

I wanted to keep the original ground cable, painted the same color (turquoise) as the engine. But I guess there comes a time I have to replace it.
You still haven't stated how well she starts. Cranking for a long time can get things hot enough to melt the ends off cables. Why most survivors have a cheap clamp style positive terminal on them!

You still haven't stated how well she starts. Cranking for a long time can get things hot enough to melt the ends off cables. Why most survivors have a cheap clamp style positive terminal on them!
Starts hard, long cranks after sitting for a couple days. I replaced the battery clamp on the cable.

Nothing wrong with your cable most likely... figure out why it does start well

Nothing wrong with your cable most likely... figure out why it does start well
Thanks
I rebuilt the 2 barrel carb. but I'm no machanic. I'm sure more adjustment is needed. Plus I replaced the gas line filter and the plugs and wires.

Possible hard starting due to modern gas? Lots of posts on this site for options to resolve that issue, FWIW.

A vote for old cable going bad internally.

I’ve replaced most all my wiring on 72 due to wire going bad from internal corrosion. Looked OK but once you removed insulation there was discoloration and corrosion.

By replacing wire and using relays fixed; dim headlights, light switch heating up, battery charging problem, voltage spikes that would cause all lights to pulse, engine backfiring caused by too much voltage drop to coil.

A vote for old cable going bad internally.

I’ve replaced most all my wiring on 72 due to wire going bad from internal corrosion. Looked OK but once you removed insulation there was discoloration and corrosion.

By replacing wire and using relays fixed; dim headlights, light switch heating up, battery charging problem, voltage spikes that would cause all lights to pulse, engine backfiring caused by too much voltage drop to coil.
I have more work to do. My ALT gauge needle pulses when the head lights are on.

For the pulsing problem I replaced all wires from alternator to regulator and used relay to get battery power.

Had tried different alternators and regulators to try to solve problem. Also bypassed ammeter to try to fix it and remove a known failure point.

Thanks
I rebuilt the 2 barrel carb. but I'm no machanic. I'm sure more adjustment is needed. Plus I replaced the gas line filter and the plugs and wires.
Pull the air cleaner off after it sits for a couple of days and then pump the carb by hand while looking down the throat of the carb. If you don't see the squirters working, there's your problem....or at least part of it. DO NOT try to start the car while looking down the throat of the carb. Just see if it pumps gas when you open the throttle by hand. On a 2 barrel carb you should see two good squirts of gas..... one on each side of the carb. Even if you open the throttle slowly, it should at least trickle some gas into it.

DO NOT try to start the car while looking down the throat of the carb.

Why? Do you speak from experience?
1657394421530.png

Is there a second ground on the back of the engine going to the firewall, maybe that one broke and the front one is doing all the load ?

if its a matter of guessing if the cable is good or bad. why take the chance easy part to replace and inexpensive. if it does the same thing , you can move on to something else and replace with the OEM one if you desired.

my 2 cents. :popcorn:

Is there a second ground on the back of the engine going to the firewall, maybe that one broke and the front one is doing all the load ?

if its a matter of guessing if the cable is good or bad. why take the chance easy part to replace and inexpensive. if it does the same thing , you can move on to something else and replace with the OEM one if you desired.

my 2 cents. :popcorn:
I was thinking about that after I noticed it changing valve cover gaskets. I will change. Thanks

Up-size that cable to at least 2 awg. if it's not already.

Auto Transport Service
Back