• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ground Connection ... but for What?

GTX 440

Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
I took the Glovebox apart in my 1971 Plymouth GTX and found this long black wire (with no trace color) leading over to the Passenger side door. (Just laying the the lower section of the dash). I am wondering what it could be for. Not the glove box light because it grounds directly to the metal dash. Not the Passengers side dome light switch. (That is hooked up and working). It looks stock, but I do not see a connection point for it. Any ideas?

20230717_185951.jpg

20230717_193413.jpg

20230717_193434.jpg

Fan motor? I don’t know much about under dash of 71 and later models so that guess may exhibit that.

I guess I should have explained a bit further on the items that I checked. There is no voltage present at this connection with the ignition key on and operating the lights or any of the accessories (Fan, turn signals etc.) Shows continuity to ground when tested with my meter, between the connector and the metal dash. That is why I stated that it is a ground wire.
I do not see any mounting brackets or any additional power lead for a courtesy light under the dash. Unless all that was removed before I got the car.
The glove box light does ground directly to the metal dash and there is no spade terminal for this wire to attach to.
This wire seems pretty long. At first, I thought a ground for a Power radio antenna, but when I researched the options for a GTX/Roadrunner/Satellite, I do not see a power antenna listed.
I am going to remove the Passenger's side kick panel and see if it ties into a harness for the back of the car.

A plain black wire is generally "ground". The question is: What would not be able to ground without a separate wire? For example it might be something in a consol - where the plastic wouldn't supply a connection. I'd be checking the FSM. It may not show the wire but it may show an optional item that the ground would be needed for.

A plain black wire is generally "ground". The question is: What would not be able to ground without a separate wire? For example it might be something in a consol - where the plastic wouldn't supply a connection. I'd be checking the FSM. It may not show the wire but it may show an optional item that the ground would be needed for.
All the running lights on a 1966 Dodge are black.
And if was a ground I don't think it would have or need an insulator.
I don't think it's a ground.

HI,
If its a Courtesy light it might not have power unless a door is open??

good luck take care be safe
tim

HI,
If its a Courtesy light it might not have power unless a door is open??

good luck take care be safe
tim
Courtesy lights have power all the time. (if the fuse is good...)
The ground is made by the doorswitch when you open the door the plunger moves outward and grounds to the body.
OR
When you turn the headlight switch all the way counterclockwise.

It may well be that factory used the same harness set up for all of those particular cars to handle all available options for them. Your car doesn’t have the option that goes to
so in your case it’s for nothing…..unused

just one possible scenario

It may well be that factory used the same harness set up for all of those particular cars to handle all available options for them. Your car doesn’t have the option that goes to
so in your case it’s for nothing…..unused
I agree with this. But usually the factory taped those extras up on the harness.

If you are not the original owner, then maybe someone made a tap for something else. If everything works like it should- would tape it up and forget it. :praying: If I understand correctly, it was not attached to anything.

Auto Transport Service
Back