• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ground issue?

65-440

Local time
7:27 PM
Reaction score
Ok here is another one! got a 72 challenger, with the car running and the turn signals on in either direction the tach jumps with each bulb flash. so if its idle is at 1k each bulb flash the tach jumps down to 500 ... also if the radio is on each time the turn signal is initially activated it will make a pop from the speakers. Not with each bulb flash like the tach but only on the first activation of the signal....So far i've added seperate grounds to the instrument cluster housing, radio, flasher, back of tach and nothing has made a change .. The gorund is the only thing i can see in common ... any ideas ?

While the turn signals are on, walk around the car and look at each light for lower light output. If you find one low, that may be your grounding issue. I had a 73 Challenger that the front signal housing had a bad ground and was giving me a fit trying to locate. Another possibility is the bulb may not be installed correctly, not making good contact or crossing over to the ground or the other contact. Also check to top of fender turn signal indicators if equipped for a good ground and wiring as well.
Ron

Electronic signal flashers or good old electro-mechanical?? I'd be looking there first..

While the turn signals are on, walk around the car and look at each light for lower light output. If you find one low, that may be your grounding issue. I had a 73 Challenger that the front signal housing had a bad ground and was giving me a fit trying to locate. Another possibility is the bulb may not be installed correctly, not making good contact or crossing over to the ground or the other contact. Also check to top of fender turn signal indicators if equipped for a good ground and wiring as well.
Ron
all bulbs appear to be good, none are dimmer than the other.. no fender mounted turn signals

Fresh paint? Check that the signal housings are grounded. I had similar issue with my 71 Cuda. Had to scratch to bare metal at the screw locations to get a proper ground. Test with a jumper wire to ground first to confirm that is the issue.

Fresh paint? Check that the signal housings are grounded. I had similar issue with my 71 Cuda. Had to scratch to bare metal at the screw locations to get a proper ground. Test with a jumper wire to ground first to confirm that is the issue.
Nope, car has been together for a while. Guy was driving one night, decided to check the cigar lighter. Pushed it in, after a few seconds the fuse popped. Clock stopped working, on the same fuse... he says once that happened is when the turn signal issue started..

Auto Transport Service
Back