• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTX Carb ?

mvent

Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
Is Carter 4367S correct carburetor for 68 GTX 440 with automatic trans and air condition? TIA

4429S is the correct number

Thank you, what is the difference for car w/o air?
USUALLY, on cars equipped with A/C, the carb would have a thermostaticaly conttolled air bleed valve, visable between the secondary throttle bores, below the Air Valve Blade. The valve opens to bleed air into the idle air stream, to reduce or alleviate an over rich condition due to high under hood temps because of the A/C system.
BOB RENTON

I have an Edelbrock on it now ( bought this way ) have had it worked on by 2 highly recommended techs but still not satisfied. One issue is to start up hot I must keep accelerator to floor. Another issue is it stinks while running and doesn't feel smooth at low speeds. 3.23 gearing. Also driving normal getting 10-11 mpg, not concerned about the fuel mileage just that it might be running rich. Contemplating going to correct Carter.

I have an Edelbrock on it now ( bought this way ) have had it worked on by 2 highly recommended techs but still not satisfied. One issue is to start up hot I must keep accelerator to floor. Another issue is it stinks while running and doesn't feel smooth at low speeds. 3.23 gearing. Also driving normal getting 10-11 mpg, not concerned about the fuel mileage just that it might be running rich. Contemplating going to correct Carter.
First of all Carter/Edelbrock carbs are prone to fuel evaporation after a hot soak. A momentary push button switch and a electric charge pump will take care of that issue.

Your second issue, stinky, rich running, rough running, poor mileage could very well be too much fuel pressure. Mechanical pumps can put out up to 10# and Edelbrock carbs run best with 4# of pressure. Get a pressure gauge, T it in and check it out.

I ran an Edelbrock AFB 800 on my 67(stock 68 440 motor) and even after going through it carefully I had the same complaints, plus the choke linkage I worked up to operate off the stock manifold coil was kind of risky dink. I found a correct AFB for a 67 440 auto, had it restored and then carefully restored the jetting (wasn’t correct when I got it back) and it now runs the way I feel it should. I think the Edelbrocks internal bleeds/fuel path calibrations are just enough different from a Carter to be off a little. At least on the 800 series.

Interesting that that list doesn't include 440 Sixpack carbs for any of the three years...... (four, IF you count a couple cars in 72)
Yep, only the 340 cars for some reason...

The correct carb with ac is 4637. 4429 is AT without AC. 4428 is 4 speed. Thermostatic valve is the main difference.

Is Carter 4367S correct carburetor for 68 GTX 440 with automatic trans and air condition? TIA
The correct carb with ac is 4637. 4429 is AT without AC. 4428 is 4 speed. Thermostatic valve is the main difference.
So, which is it? 4637 or 4367? (No dog in this fight, just curious).

According to Carter documentation 4637. Think op mistyped. But either way 4429 is not correct for an AC 440.

Spoke to Scott Smith at Harms, super nice guy he recommended going through timing first initial and total. Then address carb if necessary. I agree with him that factory original is best in this case.

What spacer do you have? The carterbrocks like a 3/8 heat shield type. Low speed could be weak step up springs. They are wear items and should be replaced during a rebuild. There are some incorrect vapor separators out there that have a very large orfice that will lower fuel pressure, that is considering you don’t have a higher pressure pump to begin with. Edelbrock says 6psi max for their carbs. My 69 GTX came with a box of parts and it had the wrong orfice version of the vapor separator in that pile of parts. They had a thin metal heat shield on it that I replaced with a 3/8 one. I’ve had to put those on several cars because most people try and run a thin gasket or something that won’t block heat or even hoof heat up at the carb.

Last edited:
Appears there isn't a spacer just gasket.

Auto Transport Service
Back