• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Haas Automation spotlight on our shop in Lafayette, In

I used to work at a place where we machined depleted uranium.

Oh Boy! Let the sparks fly!!!

You aren't kidding! The cuttings fell in to a tank of coolant. If you didn't clean it out often enough it would catch on fire. We made the penetrators for the A10 Warthog ammo.

You aren't kidding! The cuttings fell in to a tank of coolant. If you didn't clean it out often enough it would catch on fire. We made the penetrators for the A10 Warthog ammo.
Right on, I know them well from my time in the Air Force. Those things made quite the light show when hitting the target!

Wow, I heard that stuff was very dangerous to be around, a lot of health issues for vets from it.

Right on, I know them well from my time in the Air Force. Those things made quite the light show when hitting the target!

They showed us a video of what it does to a tank...not pretty, goes through the armor like tissue paper then keeps burning while inside. We had a prototype in the shop that was meant to go through 16" of honeycomb steel. It was huge. The stuff I cut weighed about 3/4lb and was maybe 4" long when I finished it. This prototype was over a foot long.

Wow, I heard that stuff was very dangerous to be around, a lot of health issues for vets from it.
Extremely dangerous! Besides being a low level "alpha" radiation emitter, you can suffer heavy metal poisoning from touching it. So you can imagine the inhalation hazard from it in a battle field environment. Bad Stuff.

WE are swamped with work, but it's almost impossible to find any skilled help!
A familiar lament in most of the skilled trades anymore seems like...
Comes a time when any of us in such trades has to make the decision to take a chance
and hire unskilled and train them ourselves, with all the risks that entails.
The alternative is to go without - or to pay through the nose.

A familiar lament in most of the skilled trades anymore seems like...
Comes a time when any of us in such trades has to make the decision to take a chance
and hire unskilled and train them ourselves, with all the risks that entails.
The alternative is to go without - or to pay through the nose.
Or another option is to design systems that unskilled people can use.

Auto Transport Service
Back