• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harbor Freight 6000 Lb. Capacity Scissor Lift Review, Central Hydraulics, is it worth it?

May have been mentioned but one thing that bothered me about that lift is as height goes up so is the increased the center of gravity. The wheels and base where motor is get pretty narrow, close together. I can see if one doesn’t have the vehicle centered pretty well, balanced, the higher it goes the more like it is to fall especially with a larger car.. maybe I’m over thinking but that base gets really narrow at full height!

If the liability issues for injury or death were that great with this item, HF wouldn't even have this on the market! Out of 84 critiques, 94% would recommend it, 52 people give it a 5 star rating, and 22 people like it for it's durability says a lot more then your generic made up false statement! Nice try on your attempt to slander HF, FAIL!
I have used a different one on a smaller scale, lifted only about 2 feet. For things like brake jobs, shocks, and whatnot, they our a blessing to have, no more crawling on concrete with no room underneath the vehicle. Oil changes, U-joint jobs and such, they aren't real great as the lift gets in your way.
I didn't watch the video so I don't know what safety things they've installed from preventing collapses, but the unit I used to use did have a safety feature to prevent it from falling. I would have to venture to say that I'm sure all types of lifts now days have some type of safety feature to prevent accidents or they wouldn't be on the market!! I hope this helps?
Millions of people go out and buy their junk yet I've had many of their products fail almost instantly so yeah, I'm with Hunt on this one. Their C clamps are great simply because you can afford to buy tons of them.. not great quality but they work, their blasting cabinets gets the job done with a few mods, their cherry pickers are decent, their power tools suck, their pneumatic tools flat out suck (I've got at least 3 that failed in the first few hours). It could be a decent product but ones reputation comes in question when purchasing something that could kill you and as of now their reputation isn't anything to brag about.

I get the guys that do occasional work buying their stuff but in my case and Hunts I'm sure we use our tools a lot, enough that we uncover poor quality quicker than the average Joe. With as much as I use my tools it quickly becomes a matter of buy once or buy 12 times when choosing between them or a reputable brand. No brainer.

Millions of people go out and buy their junk yet I've had many of their products fail almost instantly so yeah, I'm with Hunt on this one. Their C clamps are great simply because you can afford to buy tons of them.. not great quality but they work, their blasting cabinets gets the job done with a few mods, their cherry pickers are decent, their power tools suck, their pneumatic tools flat out suck (I've got at least 3 that failed in the first few hours). It could be a decent product but ones reputation comes in question when purchasing something that could kill you and as of now their reputation isn't anything to brag about.

I get the guys that do occasional work buying their stuff but in my case and Hunts I'm sure we use our tools a lot, enough that we uncover poor quality quicker than the average Joe. With as much as I use my tools it quickly becomes a matter of buy once or buy 12 times when choosing between them or a reputable brand. No brainer.
I started buying quality Snap-on, Mac and Matco tools as a teenager in the mid 80's. I made a living with those tools for over 25 years, and besides a few warranty replacements, I still have all of those tools today, and still use them on a regular basis. They perform exactly as they did when I purchased them 30 plus years ago. Show me ANY Chinese or HF freight tool that can make that claim. I also still have Ingersoll Rand air tools from that era that I use and work great. That was before IR sold out to China.

It's not just HF China stuff, it's anywhere you buy your stuff. Some items are better quality at different places, just pay attention to what your buying and use it within it's parameters. Stuff like C clamps, tool bags, rubber gloves, magnet retrievers, and other light duty tools, I don't see a problem with HF.

I bought a hand truck at HF about a dozen years ago, to move a 300# refrigerator. Slid that cheap-assed "tool" under the fridge, pulled back on the handles...and it actually bent. Moved the fridge across the garage to its new spot...the wheels had bent so that they wobbled as you rolled the hand truck! W. T. F???

I took that and the receipt back to HF, where the manager said "well, you obviously tried to move something extremely heavy and bent the truck!" and said essentially "tough ****!" I said "OK, smart ***, I weigh 200#. Let's go to your display of these "800# capacity" piles of crap are. I'll stand on it and you move me twenty feet, shall we? What do you have to lose?" He wheeled me around, and by the end of this exercise, the wheels had bent, and the part I was standing on had bent slightly.

I got my money back, and didn't step into a HF again until two years ago.

You just have to love the tool snobs... LOL, typical BS; "if you don't buy the overpriced US made crap you are wrong".... Sure HF and places like this (Eastwood, Woodward, etc.) get their stuff from China and other places outside the US, but that does not make it automatically junk just like "US Made" does not make it automatically a quality product.

If you prefer the US stuff, thats fine, its your money but don't hate on everyone who doesn't agree or worse doesn't want to spend 3-5X on the same tool due to the name.

I do know one thing for sure, I am not going to cry too hard when I lose a HF wrench or socket but I am definitely going to have the *** if a Mac, Snap on, TRW, or Craftsman tool goes missing and we all know they do and will from time to time.

You just have to love the tool snobs... LOL, typical BS; "if you don't buy the overpriced US made crap you are wrong".... Sure HF and places like this (Eastwood, Woodward, etc.) get their stuff from China and other places outside the US, but that does not make it automatically junk just like "US Made" does not make it automatically a quality product.

If you prefer the US stuff, thats fine, its your money but don't hate on everyone who doesn't agree or worse doesn't want to spend 3-5X on the same tool due to the name.

I do know one thing for sure, I am not going to cry too hard when I lose a HF wrench or socket but I am definitely going to have the *** if a Mac, Snap on, TRW, or Craftsman tool goes missing and we all know they do and will from time to time.

They're to narcissist to know any better, and to naïve to care what you think! It's all about them!

It's not about being a "snob". When you make your living with tools, buying quality makes sense. The last thing that I want is a tool breaking, stripping a nut or bolt, or even worse, causing me to get hurt.

Buying "quality" and making a living are not synonymous; you prefer to buy the brands you do but they are not the only brands that will work. Being a "snob" is saying that if you don't buy a certain brand/s than you are somewhat less than professional, skilled or capable which is absolutely not a fact.

What I disagree with is that every time some posts something about an "off" brand, especially HF there is an instant back lash from people about what crap they are and how buying anything from there is somehow wrong. There is always this "I make a living..... so I buy only US made quality.... blah blah blah" or to put it more simply "if you buy anything different than you are making a horrible mistake".

If you don't like HF then why come onto a thread about a HF product to slam it and everyone considering buying it or is interested in it? Now if you have some first hand knowledge about that specific product, the go on with your bad self but this continual litany of "do what I say" or "my opinion is the only one that matters" crap is not helpful.

I think its pretty safe to say that if you went to a variety of shops you would find more than one brand represented and more than likely at least one "off shore" product laying about. As difficult as it may be to admit that non-name brands might actually get the job done, we both know that they do. Sure, some of the HF stuff fails but so does some of the name brand stuff perhaps not at the same rate or frequency but it does occur.

Harbor Freight tools are great for the young mechanic just getting started and for the weekend warrior. They have their place, I don't disagree with that. I buy a lot of "expendables" at HF, but ask ANY mechanic and they will tell you, there is no substitute for American quality when you make your living with them. As I have stated before, I started out with a Craftsman 300 piece tool set and Craftsman tool box. As I progressed in the field, I replaced them with Snap-On. I would rather pay more for the best than buy Chinese tools.
Everybody has their own opinion. The new EPIC line from HF looks pretty decent, but I have all of the tools that I need right now. I am considering a full set of EPIC impacts to keep on my Kenworth in case there is something that I need to do on the road.
I will give my thoughts on them after I use them a few times. I have purchased quite a few Tekton tools for the truck. I like them and a lot of them are made in America.

If the liability issues for injury or death were that great with this item, HF wouldn't even have this on the market! Out of 84 critiques, 94% would recommend it, 52 people give it a 5 star rating, and 22 people like it for it's durability says a lot more then your generic made up false statement! Nice try on your attempt to slander HF, FAIL!
I have used a different one on a smaller scale, lifted only about 2 feet. For things like brake jobs, shocks, and whatnot, they our a blessing to have, no more crawling on concrete with no room underneath the vehicle. Oil changes, U-joint jobs and such, they aren't real great as the lift gets in your way.
I didn't watch the video so I don't know what safety things they've installed from preventing collapses, but the unit I used to use did have a safety feature to prevent it from falling. I would have to venture to say that I'm sure all types of lifts now days have some type of safety feature to prevent accidents or they wouldn't be on the market!! I hope this helps?
I think you're correct. Liability will keep them honest. My problem with the more expensive items from HF is that their stuff only has a 90 day warranty. To me it kind of tells me they don't think much of their stuff. I looked at their TIG welders and the Vulcan ProTig 205 for $999.99. One thousand dollars and a 90 day warranty. I bought a AHP Alphtig 203xi for $800.00 and it has a full 3 year warranty.

Yeah, it's an old thread but I'll throw in at least one more data point; I've had mine for about 3 or 4 years now and have something on it at least once a week. I bought the one from Dannmar (made in US) and it's exactly the same thing except the color. That, and the Dannmar unit came with a leaky cylinder but instead of sending it back, I asked them for a new cylinder ...which also leaked. I then sent it the whole unit back and have had zero problems with the harbor freight unit I replaced it with. Yes, for more $$$ I could get a 2 post but I'm concerned my 1926 garage slab might be a problem, and I'd love to have a four post but I don't have the height. The access isn't perfect, but for 80% of the work I do it makes a massive difference. Well worth the @$700 (delivered!) price back when HF had 25% off coupons.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/differential-sanity-check.231167/#post-912056106

I've never felt good under jack stands, so for the remainder of the work I need done (and that's coming up in a few months) I'm probably going this route;

https://restocar.com/blog/how-to-make-wooden-car-stands/

Auto Transport Service
Back