• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard pull to left

Garys1969RR

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just got a 67 Satellite, 400 engine (not original one). When I step on the brakes, it pulls hard to the left. I pulled off the right front wheel, and that brake was adjusted way loose. So I adjusted it up to where it just drags a little, and same problem. So I am suspecting air in the lines, or bad wheel cylinder. The left front wheel will actually lock up and skid if you push the pedal real hard. Shoes look good, and drums appear ok. I am going to put a clear plastic piece of tubing on the bleeder valve outlet, submerge the other end in brake fluid, and have an assistant slowly pump the pedal while I watch for bubbles coming out. Any suggestions on another possible cause for this problem? Thanks.

BOTH of them should lock up if you push real hard. If the automatic adjusters are in place, that right brake shouldn't have been that loose so I'd suspect that it isn't applying properly. While your assistant pushes the pedal, take a look at the piston operation while the drum is off.

On a car that old you could also have deteriorated brake hoses that are blocked inside.

Good point, Photon. My 69 RR had a blocked neoprene rubber brake line that went to the rear brakes which rendered them useless. Replaced that one, and now they work fine. I know 1 front brake line was replaced on the Satellite, but can't remember which one. I will check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes the auto adjusters are in place. And the brake hardware also looks new. The PO had some brake work done on it.

I would just bag the front drums a lot of options for disk brake conversions nowadays

If you have a bad wheel cylendar that leaks the least little bit it will get on the shoes and they will grab like crazy and lock up with not much pressure applied. Yes rubber hoses will deteriate inside and cause low pressure and some times hold pressure like a one way valve then bleed back down slowly. The master cylendar will force fluid down the hose then the wheel cylendar is too weak to push the fluid back.

If you have a bad wheel cylendar that leaks the least little bit it will get on the shoes and they will grab like crazy and lock up with not much pressure applied. Yes rubber hoses will deteriate inside and cause low pressure and some times hold pressure like a one way valve then bleed back down slowly. The master cylendar will force fluid down the hose then the wheel cylendar is too weak to push the fluid back.

X2 - I was going to say the same thing - had that with my car driver side was all oiled up and it pulled hard to the right -

the driver side slips and the passenger side grab, which is the reason it pulls to the right.

Pull the drums and check to see if the cylinders are leaking.

If you're pulling left, check to see if the passenger side is leaking from the wheel cylinder.

I would have mentioned contaminated shoes as well, except he said "shoes look good".

shoes can look great and have soaked up brake fluid. very hard to tell.

make sure to pull back both dust boots on both cylinders to check for leaks.those boots can hold fluid and you cant hardly tell when you have a slow leak just by looking at them.my first guess on your problem,assuming both sides are adjusted properly,is a bad hose.check to make sure the side you had to adjust up is not catching against the backing plate.

I just did the brakes on a buddy's AMC and the rubber lines were blocked on the right front and rear. I did drive it to his house out of a barn with one brake. A few hundred yards, thank goodness.

Thanks 4 all your ideas. I will be checking it out after the 14th. I'm suspecting air or bad hose. Sure I can find the problem soon. Will post a result when fixed.

Open the right bleeder and just watch and see if anything comes out.

Question - is it fairly difficult to get the left front wheel off ? ( this is the one that locks up on you - right ? )

If both shoes appear to be dry, and you don't see any oil dripping from the wheel cylinders, then try loosening up the adjuster on the drum brakes to reduce the amount of pressure you're putting to the wheel drum - if the brakes are all good, and the system is solid, it could be adjust "too tight" ( or tighter than all the others ) and the pressure is activating it faster than it can the rest of the drums.

Hope that helps and I hope you find the culprit ! !

Swapped left and right drums, no difference. Put new shoes on right front, about the same. Next will put new shoes on left front. Also have a new flexible brake line and wheel cyl ordered. Will put those on tomorrow, then post results here.

After changing the left (and right) front brake shoes, the car brakes straight and quiet! So didn't bother to change the hose and wheel cylinder. Problem solved.

Keep an eye on it. If it's starts again check the wheel cylinder very close for a slight leak. Usually shoes only grab when contaminated

Auto Transport Service
Back