• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard to close door

Its just a therory of mine but Ive seen this in several cars, different makes models ect; I think its lack of use compared to the drivers door. Just think of the difference in the ammount of times it's been worked. Metal fatigues...hinges,stikers and latch mechanisms have to be somewhat distorted on the drivers side...kinda like an old pair of shoes. They're a lot easier to slide on than a pair that has not been broken in...
Alignment needs to be pretty close of course as well...
But it's just a therory...

Last edited:
Its just a therory of mine but Ive seen this in several cars, different makes models ect; I think its lack of use compared to the drivers door. Just think of the difference in the ammount of times it's been worked. Metal fatigues...hinges,stikers and latch mechanisms have to be somewhat distorted on the drivers side...kinda like an old pair of shoes. They're a lot easier to slide on than a pair that has not been broken in...
Alignment needs to be pretty close of course as well...
But it's just a therory...
I had that problem on a 66 hemi belvedere, had to put it on jackstands to level it out and add a 4 point roll bar and subframe connectors to stop it from twisting.-----LOL

Anyone have an idea of what 'slightly' is height wise?
I had to mess with mine, for a while. Figured that 'slight rise' was just that, getting somewhere between 1/32" and a 1/16", on my 64. Definately no more than a 1/16".
Stand back, and look at it, just like I had to. Ha! Went from door refused to latch, even after slamming hard a few times, to just a few inches out, slight push, both easily close.
Just have to make sure nothing interferes, including the door seals.

Auto Transport Service
Back