• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anybody had a buying experience with this person from Facebook?

moparhoosier

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
I was looking to buy some parts this guy (Mack Sawyer) has and with all the scamming going on, im skeptical of buying from someone these days. Anybody have any dealings with this guy Good or Bad?

Mack Sawyer?

Thanks.

Where is he from? Post the ad. How did he contact you? You asked about parts or he posted parts. NOT nearly enough going by a name.

How long has he been a member of Facebook ??? What's his "about" info say? How many posts does he have? Is the item in question ridiculously low-priced?

He didnt contact me. He posted a bunch of parts for sale on Market Place and I saw one part I needed so I wrote him. He quoted me a price shipped. I said I would take it and pay for thru Paypal but he will only take money as friends and family. That kinda raises a flag for me and I told him that. He suggested contacting others who have bought from him and he sent me some names to check but we all know that can be BS also. Its not a major amount of money but it is $150. He has posted since May and I havent seen anything posted as negative or positive for that matter.

You can choose to pay him but increase the price so he doesn't get charged the paypal fee. If he wont accept that then he is out to get you.

Lets say the price is 125.00 shipped. Send him 130.00 that should cover the paypal fees. If he wont accept that which is very odd that he wouldn't I would walk away. That is the only way you are protected. DO NOT SENT HIM MONEY if he shy's away from you adding the paypal fees into your end of the deal.

Unless you know the guy or like most of the regular guys here you can trust I would not do friends and family as an option. If you do that there is no way to get your money back from paypal.

Here is an online Paypal fee calculator to help you determine what they charge him.. For 150.00 they charge him 4.65 So he ends up with 145.35 after the fees. You increase your price by 5 bucks you save the headache. Its worth the 5 extra dollars to know you are protected.

Last edited:
Friends & Family is not a red flag. People selling stuff even on FBBO often ask for that if using PayPal because it avoids the fees. What is a red flag on Marketplace are profiles with no posts, friends, significant history or Marketplace seller reputation.

Not yet rated.

Joined April 7.

Not much activity. Must not be a social butterfly.

Screenshot_20231209-165351~3.png

Screenshot_20231209-172510~3.png
Screenshot_20231209-172529~3.png

Last edited:
I agree pay the extra fees on PP,if he says no walk away.

Paypal fee is 3.8% . As others said, he just needs to charge you that amount to use regular paypal. That's what I do. I won't even accept F&F because I am a business and business' don't use F&F. He's probably a scammer

Friends & Family is not a red flag. People selling stuff even on FBBO often ask for that if using PayPal because it avoids the fees. What is a red flag on Marketplace are profiles with no posts, friends, significant history or Marketplace seller reputation.
That would be me. Don't have much to say on FB, I have three friends only because they brow beat me into it. I had to unfriend a fourth as I didn't want to be associated with his ugly politics. Hence, I have no history or reputation. I sell on eBay where nobody calls me a scammer and I don't worry much about buyers. I recently bought some very nice Legendary seat covers on FB. Before I saw them, FB wanted me to rate the seller. After I saw them, I looked for the link to say what a great seller he was... it was not to be found.

That would be me. Don't have much to say on FB, I have three friends only because they brow beat me into it. I had to unfriend a fourth as I didn't want to be associated with his ugly politics. Hence, I have no history or reputation. I sell on eBay where nobody calls me a scammer and I don't worry much about buyers. I recently bought some very nice Legendary seat covers on FB. Before I saw them, FB wanted me to rate the seller. After I saw them, I looked for the link to say what a great seller he was... it was not to be found.
Selling on Ebay is not for the seller. Its for the buyer almost any time a buyer rejects a part you send they refund him the money and leave you without any way to regain your part or the money. Watch this video by Chris Birdsong.. He got screwed out of a charger grill assembly.

Friends and family also eliminates the sale being reported to the IRS.

It is getting tougher each year to buy and sell on Ebay and Marketplace. I have had good luck using PayPal by sending an invoice to the buyer. I never ask someone I don't know or don't know me to use F&F because it cancels out the buyers rights if you are dealing with a scammer. Trouble is, From what I have heard starting in 2023 PayPal keeps track of your sales now and if your sales exceed $600.00 in a calendar year, they report those sales to the IRS and send you a 1099 form for your taxes. With that said, what I have noticed is when I sell a used part for say $100.00 and the shipping fees are $25.00, PayPal will take their $5.00 off the top and credit me with a $120.00 income. So now, if I sell 5 more items, my totals for the year are $720.00. So I end up getting a 1099 showing I Made a $720.00 profit that I have to claim as income. What A bunch of ****! They want me to pay income tax on $150.00 I spent on shipping along with the $570.00 I recovered from selling excess parts that I already paid the taxes on. If this is how it shakes out, I will no longer be selling anything unless it is a cash in hand sale.

a 68 grille would hurt. If I win a bigger lotto, I'm starting an eBay Seller's Union. Their terms of use say you automatically accept their terms of use in perpetuity. How can that be legal? How can the people who write our laws ignore eBay's treatment of sellers? They need to be sued in small claims, but I bet that gets instant suspension. If I win the lotto, I'll buy a law firm and put them to work.

It is getting tougher each year to buy and sell on Ebay and Marketplace. I have had good luck using PayPal by sending an invoice to the buyer. I never ask someone I don't know or don't know me to use F&F because it cancels out the buyers rights if you are dealing with a scammer. Trouble is, From what I have heard starting in 2023 PayPal keeps track of your sales now and if your sales exceed $600.00 in a calendar year, they report those sales to the IRS and send you a 1099 form for your taxes. With that said, what I have noticed is when I sell a used part for say $100.00 and the shipping fees are $25.00, PayPal will take their $5.00 off the top and credit me with a $120.00 income. So now, if I sell 5 more items, my totals for the year are $720.00. So I end up getting a 1099 showing I Made a $720.00 profit that I have to claim as income. What A bunch of ****! They want me to pay income tax on $150.00 I spent on shipping along with the $570.00 I recovered from selling excess parts that I already paid the taxes on. If this is how it shakes out, I will no longer be selling anything unless it is a cash in hand sale.
It's the same with eBay, but you deduct those costs along with other things like: tax prep, mileage to ship, and many others.

Not yet rated.

Joined April 7.

Not much activity. Must not be a social butterfly.

View attachment 1571016

View attachment 1571017View attachment 1571018
After seeing his profile THIS IS exactly what scammers profiles look like. There are multiple scammers that have this type of profile page so that they can sell you ANYTHING you need Antiques, car parts U name I have it. Find it else where or ask where his hometown is so a friend can look at it.. Then you will see the excuses if not legit.

And this is why I quit selling parts for the Slingshot. My only real marketing was on the forums where I had a rep that a buyer could accept or reject. I never scammed anyone and took care of any problems out of my pocket. I would invoice anyone with a business, or who asked me to and eat the fees. Toward the end, my wife sold them on FB but those buyers were more skeptical and less reliable. I didn't make enough to justify running another business just for that, so I just shut it off.

Auto Transport Service
Back