• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone put an air grabber into a 73 RR hood?

Mobirdman

Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
I know that it was not a factory option and some will not like the idea. But does anyone know how feasible that it would be to add the air grabber parts to a 1973 Road Runner?
Thanks.

Sounds like a good idea if you can work out the details....good luck.:thumbsup:

it sounds expensive.
air grabber parts are not cheap, real or repo..

There's a thread on that from awhile back.

At least one or two pretty good ideas.

If you're talking about using the factory simulated scoop holes, they are fairly small once you get to looking at them close.

I was thinking about a clear panel in the middle, kinda like a newer corvette.

The big problem with doing this, aside from the overkill look, is the powerbuldge of the 73/74 hood is higher than than the center of the 71-72 hood. You can install the Air Grabber door but the base won't mate to the air cleaner base because it is too high. You either need to modify the parts or just use the door as a cool air device.

I have drawn up a few different ideas utilizing the power bulge and a 69 style system. From what I have measured up it is possible to have a factory appearing system but definitely be prepared to modify the hood and or system. I am going to start work on mine once I get out of college and actually have money, but I would definitely suggest doing the modifications on a junky hood so you don't damage a nice one.

Why not just use a Satellite hood and leave the original RR hoods alone?

These guys usually like the look of the 73/74 hoods and want to add the grabber door to it.

Seems like the 73/74 hoods aren't plentiful and a Satellite hood would look more like a hood that the Air grabber was originally on.

Seems like the 73/74 hoods aren't plentiful and a Satellite hood would look more like a hood that the Air grabber was originally on.
I don't know, I saw close to 10 of these hoods at the Nationals this year and in the two days I was there I didn't see but one or two get sold. A lot of people tend to cast our cars off as "non-muscle" for some reason. But those kind of people are kindof weird....:realcrazy:

I don't know, I saw close to 10 of these hoods at the Nationals this year and in the two days I was there I didn't see but one or two get sold. A lot of people tend to cast our cars off as "non-muscle" for some reason. But those kind of people are kindof weird....:realcrazy:

I cant find one here and its a fortune to ship one

Flat hood with a 71 style "bolt on" AG seems very doable.

...just like they did in 71.

Bump is repro by Stinger (formerly AAR fiberglass).

Yep, they are a bit of a feast and famine item. One day you're tripping over them and the next there's not a one to be found.

They were $50 for a super nice no rust no dent part before I bought my Satellite.

After that, all I could find were rusted out or severely dented ones for $400.

Auto Transport Service
Back