• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have Mopar Clubs become buy a new Challenger and meet up

Fortunately the members of the Quad Cities Mopar Club are old school car guys. Sure there are some new cars in the club, but the owners still appreciate and work on the older ones as well.

Not kidding. Who the hell want to look at a tuner car. :eek:

I don't think it's the cars, as much as the high-percentage of douche-bags who own them. They're the minstrel-emulating generations of the last couple decades. I will give them the kudos of working on cars, though. How many people on this board have kids with their kids faces buried In their phones 24-7?

I belong to an all makes/models club, and I am a member in name only because most members are retired, so they are comfortable holding the club meetings at 9am on Monday mornings while I am at work. I mostly joined for the contacts and information available. I do not do shows as a rule, but I do show up at the unofficial classic car get together at the local Safeway from 4pm to 6pm every Wednesday afternoon, and I only do this once in a while. What I am all about is driving my 69 Coronet 4 door. Now that I have gotten all the safety issues addressed, it is my daily driver. My wife has a 2015 Challenger SXT which is nice, and I do drive it once in a while, mostly to drop her off at the airport and pick her up. When I go to the store, she will say "you can take the Chally if you like" and I say "no thanks, I will take the Coronet!" I LOVE driving my old 4 door Coronet! It fits me in terms of my generation. Face it guys, our generation is fading as we hit our 60's, 70's and older. There are a few young guys and girls that will carry the torch forward, but when we are gone, that will be pretty much it. So as I have heard it said "I would rather burn out than fade away!". I am going to drive my car every time I need to drive until I am gone! Plus people LOVE seeing the old cars on the road!!! Even my old 4 door Coronet gets thumbs up every time I drive it. Just a few days ago, some dude in a newer Corvette almost broke his neck trying to get a good look at my car. I see other people pointing and showing a passenger.....now they may be saying "I wonder how that old POS is still holding together" or maybe "Look at how ugly the old fart driving that blue car is!" I have no idea, but I do know that I enjoy driving my Coronet and people LOVE seeing it, so we are both happy!!!!

I want to hang with guys who did it like this back in the day
14441036_1172340732831548_1027088791746456640_n.jpg

I like to believe that one's car is a reflection of their persona. Discounting the fact that sometimes ones financial situation may force them to drive a vehicle they do not like.
I don't think it's likely we will ever see someone driving their 69 GTX (or any other classic mopar for that matter) wearing a #7 S.F. 49s jersey. I have however seen a man driving at a car show sitting by his 69 Olds 442 wearing a Brett Favre jersey.
I was driving by the local community college yesterday. And saw a couple of students standing next to their vehicles talkin. There were 2 students standing next to a Mitsubishi gallant. One of them was wear a #7 49s jersey, the other a black under armour t-shirt that said "OBEY" across the front. Not kidding. I wonder how the new "threads" were payed for. Student loans or snap cards? :eek:

In the same vein, what's a carburetor??!!! One of these days they'll be museum pieces.

My dad told me don't buy something you can't fix yourself. And if a repair is beyond what you can do, research, understand it at least, get the parts yourself and get it fixed for cheap. Of course factory warranties can be nice :)

That should be the rule of showing cars. No factory warranties.

The HellCats are cool though don't get me wrong. But I do get bummed when there are 30 new challengers and one Road Runner. I want to see the things you don't see on a regular basis.

My dad told me don't buy something you can't fix yourself. And if a repair is beyond what you can do, research, understand it at least, get the parts yourself and get it fixed for cheap. Of course factory warranties can be nice :)

That should be the rule of showing cars. No factory warranties.

The HellCats are cool though don't get me wrong. But I do get bummed when there are 30 new challengers and one Road Runner. I want to see the things you don't see on a regular basis.

I bet that one Road Runner gets a lot of attention!!!

What does it matter what any supposedly car enthusiast drives. They write a check for a brand new Challenger or a 69 GTX,is there a difference other than one is new and one is not??? People send there money as they see fit. Some like to build there own cars. They know every inch of there cars. Others don't have the time or skill so they buy one done and enjoy it now with less stress and aggravation. Others want the benefit of a brand new car. There still all car people and if they act like ******** it not because of the car

I've been noticing more car shows here saying nothing over 1974 or 76. My favorite is the "No Trailer Queen" rule. You can't show your car unless you drive it there. There is an AAR Cuda I see at almost every show between San Francisco and San Diego. That guy is living the life and one bitchin' car! :) And yes, he drives it to every show up and down the coast.

The Mopar clubs with the majority of "older cars" became too political and drove a lot of members away from the political nonsense. I would rather enjoy my car than being told what shows I need to attend and how many meetings I need to attend per year.....

Camping out at a show for 4hrs with limited or no shade is really not that enjoyable. There are just a few shows per year I enjoy going to anymore. I simply enjoy the early morning weekend cruising. The new cars don't bother me a bit but I do not consider them as a show car in general. The show promoters do not mind them at $20 per car. So with the challengers, mustangs, camaro's, and vettes. That 100 plus attendance would drop significantly if they didn't attend. It would eventually mean the promoters would lose venues....

I don't mind trailer Queens. There is no problem with some guy not wanting his hemi superbird to get rained on. Or just plain doesn't want to put more than x amount of miles on it per year. There would be a lot of cool cars I didn't get to see if they had the no trailer rule around here.

yeah, we have cruise nights with rows of new iron and parking gets difficult for us ...if I want to look at new stuff I'll go to the dealership... what are they proud of when the show these cars ..not their work, must be Detroit's designers

Ma
yeah, we have cruise nights with rows of new iron and parking gets difficult for us ...if I want to look at new stuff I'll go to the dealership... what are they proud of when the show these cars ..not their work, must be Detroit's designers
Maybe it should be put into categories, all the new stuff together. My Club does that at the annual show.

I have one of each, new and old. While many of us "old farts" have both, I don't have a problem with it. I see it this way....the younger groups are still "into" cars! Maybe not at the level we were because most of them aren't computer genius it takes to work on the new ones, BUT they are still into cars!. Having said that, I learned one hell of a lot about the new cars by building an old one with new drive train and computers in it. I consider myself to have the best of both worlds. By the way, I drive the hell out of my GTX, 2 summers on the road and 7200 miles so far( many behind Dennis H and his radar detector;-) ). I built it to drive and even tho I have a shitload of $$$$ in it, I am not going to stress over dirt and road wear. I saw a guy this weekend get a scratch on his '50 Ford pickup. An awesome build with over the top paint. Dude broke down and cried AFTER he had a living shitstorm fit and cursed anyone in ear shot. Why be THAT uptight? Cars were meant to drive. You want a museum piece, build it that way, call it that, and park the ****** in a museum!
Life moves on, you should too!

I do have a problem judging the new cars , pretty much boils down to which color do I like best!

I wouldn't snub someone, just because of the car they chose to buy. I was at an all car show in July, and stopped to talked to an owner of a super beetle. I worked on them back in the seventies, so I still have an interest. He told me, I was the only one that talked to him about his car. Yeah, I agree, most of us have sweat equity in our wheels. But it's no reason not to be friendly. I hit a Monday night cruise in. I have the only real Mopar there. There is a 70' D100, that's lowered, but has a blown 427 Chevy. A 50' Plymouth, with a 350 Chevy drive train, and a 57' Chevy dash. Lastly, a late model Charger. I'm OK with it, I just have a sense of pride in my car they don't.

I think a lot of the older guys forget that the old cars were once the same as new cars... just another new car and everywhere. All these 60's and 70's Mopars were a dime a dozen in the 80's and 90's, and no one cared if it got chopped up and modified. Just look at the Pro-Street craze....

I've never really understood the whole resto thing. To me, there's no difference in a field full of restored classics and a new car dealership. They're all just like they were when they came from the factory, bone stock. New cars just have different styling and do everything better :p At this point, cost of a nice restored muscle car and a brand new muscle car is about the same also.

Respect the point but i took every nut and bolt off my car and have been rebuilding resto mod not restored. Better brakes, better steering,AC, upgraded motor and trans and a paint color that was not available in 62 its was never at the delership like this. Its hard to find 62-65 b body guys as it is. I want to learn from these people. Im no expert but networking and spending the time doing it i have learned alot. As these older guys get older and go away so does all there knowledge and it will be lost forever. Sitting around at Starbucks with 10 guys who have 2016 Challengers isnt going to do anything for me. Sure if they enjoyed thats great not hateing them. But thats not the people im looking for and the people im looking for are getting harder to find.

A simple explanation is young guys buy new cars, old guys buy memories of their old cars. if we want to look further a shortage exists of old cars and talent to work on them. I have both new and old and i see very few people who can afford either anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back