• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Gasket Cylinder Overhang

The 8519PT1 works on aluminum heads, at least the B1 BS heads. They are also really inexpensive, I think less than $20/set. I have been using Cometic MLS gaskets, but they are around $200 /set
...not to mention the extra $$ to have the block decks machined properly for them. Great gaskets though.

I think the 8519 does not have a pre-flattened fire ring and will leave a mark on the heads? Never had a problem with it though.
Went with the Cometic gaskets when I built the new 12.4:1 compression engine.
I bought the "bore specific" cometic gaskets for a 10:1 compression engine and had a bunch of issues, and that is when I figured out my mistake of forgetting about the chamfer at the top of the bore. just trying to learn from my mistakes.

Well I did end up going with the Marine gasket. I see a number of people have used the standard FP gasket with the aluminum heads, but the FP tech said it wasn't rated for that application so I went Marine. I just got the Hughes 1.6 rockers on and shimmed. I used Manton for the pushrods. Going to set the lifter preload this weekend and put the front of the motor together.

Auto Transport Service
Back