• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header gaskets or no?

SuperBB

Local time
1:28 PM
Reaction score
Should I be using gaskets for TTI shorty headers on 71 Charger original 318 with stock heads?

What does TTI recommend ? What is your reason for using/not using a gasket ? Why would you not use a gasket ?

Can you reuse a exhaust gasket, about 6 months old?

reflex gaskets are the best , I coat them with copper grease and install them
the key to exhaust gaskets is always keep retorting them after they do a few cylcles
and making sure your headers or manifold is straight , check with a straight edge

The tti gaskets are great, but as always, go over the flanges with a file or a sanding block to check flatness

What does TTI recommend ? What is your reason for using/not using a gasket ? Why would you not use a gasket ?
There is enough conflicting info here that I figured I would ask the question. I’m installing them for the first time and wanted to know if there were guys who’ve done this setup already. I do plan on calling TTI also

There is enough conflicting info here that I figured I would ask the question. I’m installing them for the first time and wanted to know if there were guys who’ve done this setup already. I do plan on calling TTI also
What exactly would you ask them?

Can you reuse a exhaust gasket, about 6 months old?
I've reused heavy copper exhaust gaskets many times.... if they get too hard you can carefully anneal them with a torch..... just dont put too much heat in one place.

Don't know what your shorty headers want. With my BB drag race headers I used the graphic Mr Gasket header gaskets. They could be re-used numerous times. Sealed very good most of the time.

The reason that most manufacturers did not use gaskets on the exhaust manifold from the factory is that cylinder heads used to all be cast iron and so were the manifolds. And being newly machined to factory specifications were flat.
Gaskets only purpose is to seal generally dissimilar materials that expand and contract at different rates. Aluminum/steel. Cast iron/aluminum etc...

The reason that most manufacturers did not use gaskets on the exhaust manifold from the factory is that cylinder heads used to all be cast iron and so were the manifolds. And being newly machined to factory specifications were flat.
Gaskets only purpose is to seal generally dissimilar materials that expand and contract at different rates. Aluminum/steel. Cast iron/aluminum etc..
Gaskets only purpose is to seal generally dissimilar materials that expand and contract at different rates. Aluminum/steel. Cast iron/aluminum etc...
I guess that was really my question after all. I checked in the box again and TTI actually did include gaskets so I will use theirs. I’m not an experienced mechanic by any stretch and i did not want to make a dumb mistake. Thanks everyone for the info

Be advised the TTi factory header gaskets are thin...
When I install TTi headers I typically go to the Fel-Pro, they are slightly thicker but seal well..

Just my $0.02...

Auto Transport Service
Back