Header Gaskets question(s)

Mopar Exhaust Systems

1. Rick Rockett

Rick Rockett FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:26 AM
    Yeah, I'm sure I can figure it out as I go, since it's far from brain surgery. However, guys like you doing this for 50 years could likely give me the short & simple answer so that I save time trying to reinvent the wheel. After every job, I could write a "cheat sheet" & save others a lot of time solving all the mysteries! But, I guess you're saying that would kill all the fun! LOL.
    For now, however, your answer is, "Leave the header alone & take it out from the top."
    :thankyou:

2. WileERobby

WileERobby Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:26 AM
    You'll get a better sense of satisfaction figuring it out on your own.

3. Rick Rockett

Local Time:
    funny.JPG

4. ynst

ynst FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    When I rebuilt the power steering box in my kid brother's Charger RT back in '70 I just rolled the box out the back.

Unbolt it, raise the column and disconnect the flex joint then tilt the box out towards the rear.

That car had the stock Magnum headers. Don't know what your aftermarket header clearance issues are w/o any pictures.

Collector gaskets? I use sheet copper. Been using sheet copper for years. Even used it for head gaskets on my 331 hemi for years. As long as it's not deformed, you can anneal it and re-use it. If it's crushed, though, you'll need to toss it and install a new one.

Flange gaskets? I use Felpro and coat both sides with high temp silicone sealer and let it set up for 10 to 12 hours before firing the engine.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • WileERobby

WileERobby Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    • Rick Rockett

Local Time:
      Spoiler Alert: Removing the power steering box on a ‘69 Road Runner 383 with Headman headers....
      Had to remove the battery & tray, remove header bolts, remove spark plugs, pull motor mount bolts & lift the engine about 2”, remove starter bolts & pull starter around the header & pull the header after removing the torsion bar. Of course the pitman arm is pulled & linkage pulled out of the way underneath, & steering coupler pulled off the box. Steering box comes right off the frame & drops to the floor. It’s about 35 lbs. Great fun.

• ynst

ynst FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I guess there's something to be said for stock exhaust when it comes to doing repairs.

• Rick Rockett

Local Time:
      Always a love/hate relationship with headers!
      Realizing that something as simple as a starter replacement = all header bolts coming out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.