• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight doors opening and closing not in same time

Moparjack 489

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks ,
My driver side Headlight doors need more than double time than the passenger side door to open and close ...
Anyone knows about this problem ? my vacuum lines are all looks ok and seal .
only what I figure it out already is that’s the Driver side head light door much more “ stiffer “ it I open it by hand . And also in the middle by open by hand the door stay in position if I let my hand off. On the passenger side where the door works quick and nice if I open by hand goes much more easier that the driver side , and also if I let my hand of in the middle the door will go back to close and not stay in middle like the slow working driver side door .

My driver side Headlight doors need more than double time than the passenger side door to open and close ...
That is quite normal.
  • length of vacuum lines,
  • quality of seals at each vacuum pod
  • mechanical resistance differences
  • interference from other parts.

That's the good 'ol vacuum system for you. Mine takes 9 seconds on the right and about 17 seconds on the left. I refuse to buy brand new vacuum pods at $200 each to eliminate them as the cause of the problem. You can pick your way through used Ebay vacuum pods until you find one that works well for you. If it bothers you that much, get the electrical headlight door conversion kit at about $400 and they'll open and close within seconds of one another...

Thank you very much for the answers !
No it’s ok ,my one works nearly in same time as yours . I like the way it is , only interests me what’s the cause

You could have a weak vacuum pod, or a pinched hose. Or you could have some binding in the operating mechanism causing the slow movement. Only way to find out which is the trial and error method.

Thank you very much for the answers !
No it’s ok ,my one works nearly in same time as yours . I like the way it is , only interests me what’s the cause

Good for you. Keep it the way it is. I love the sound the vacuum doors make. And the off timing is another element that makes these 68/69 Chargers unique. I hate electric doors, that awful sound. You couldn't pay me $400.00 to install those to my '68 let alone me paying $400.00.

Hi folks ,
Anyone knows about this problem ? my vacuum lines are all looks ok and seal .
only what I figure it out already is that’s the Driver side head light door much more “ stiffer “ it I open it by hand . And also in the middle by open by hand the door stay in position if I let my hand off. On the passenger side where the door works quick and nice if I open by hand goes much more easier that the driver side , and also if I let my hand of in the middle the door will go back to close and not stay in middle like the slow working driver side door .
I had an idea to run a rod from one headlight door to the other. Basically tie them together so they open at the same time. I haven't tried it yet . Due to not having installed my grill yet.

I had an idea to run a rod from one headlight door to the other. Basically tie them together so they open at the same time. I haven't tried it yet . Due to not having installed my grill yet.
I had a '68 LTD that came like that, both doors operated together with a rod between them and just one vacuum pod to operate them.

@1:18 in this clip from the movie "Blue Velvet" (1986) '68 Charger that Dennis Hopper drives. Great movie BTW.

Auto Transport Service
Back