• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight switch differences

Frank1970

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know why there are swiches with 4 or 5 terminals? I have 4 on my switch and a space for a 5th in my connector. I see on ebay switches with 4 or 5 terminals for a 68 to 70 charger. What is that 5th terminal for?

Does anyone know why there are swiches with 4 or 5 terminals? I have 4 on my switch and a space for a 5th in my connector. I see on ebay switches with 4 or 5 terminals for a 68 to 70 charger. What is that 5th terminal for?

Two sources of power from fuse panel on some switches, internally bridged power on others utilizing only one fuse.

The 68 - 70 B body rally rocker headlight switch and the 70 - 74 E b bodies used the same five socket connector. The use of the five wires (68 -69) were for the 2864002 fixed headlights and the 2864134 for vacuum headlight doors. The B2 12 volt circuit input fed both the R and P terminals when the parking lights only were turned on. Once the headlights were turned on, the R terminal remained on and the P terminal turned off. The P terminal powered the front parking lights only.

With all 70 B bodies, except for one exception, went to four terminal headlight switches 2947762 and E bodies four terminal headlight switch 2947305 from 70 - 74, all circuit board went to only 4 terminals, meaning the front parking lights would remain on when the headlights were turned on. The same socket from 68 - 69 was used without the P position wire. 70 Chargers changed over to electric motors for the headlight doors. The P terminal was removed from the circuit board. The exception for 70 was 2864134 headlight switch was used on the Superbirds still using vacuum headlight doors.

Jim

The 68 - 70 B body rally rocker headlight switch and the 70 - 74 E b bodies used the same five socket connector. The use of the five wires (68 -69) were for the 2864002 fixed headlights and the 2864134 for vacuum headlight doors. The B2 12 volt circuit input fed both the R and P terminals when the parking lights only were turned on. Once the headlights were turned on, the R terminal remained on and the P terminal turned off. The P terminal powered the front parking lights only.

With all 70 B bodies, except for one exception, went to four terminal headlight switches 2947762 and E bodies four terminal headlight switch 2947305 from 70 - 74, all circuit board went to only 4 terminals, meaning the front parking lights would remain on when the headlights were turned on. The same socket from 68 - 69 was used without the P position wire. 70 Chargers changed over to electric motors for the headlight doors. The P terminal was removed from the circuit board. The exception for 70 was 2864134 headlight switch was used on the Superbirds still using vacuum headlight doors.

Jim
Thank you for that detailed explanation. I bought a headlight switch with 5 terminals instead of 4 terrminals so im glad i can use the 5 terminal switch

Two sources of power from fuse panel on some switches, internally bridged power on others utilizing only one fuse.
So can i use a 5 terminal with only a 4 wire connector? Im thinking if 5 prone requies 2 powersources then i may not be able to use a 5 terminal?

Auto Transport Service
Back