• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight upgrade

Rocketman

Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
Was thinking about a headlight upgrade as I can't see crap with the old style headlights coming home at night. Any suggestions for a 68 GTX?

Really appreciate the heads up on the 1157 thread as I was going to do that as well!:headbang:

How far do you want to go with your upgrade? Just installing a relay system and using a sealed beam halogen will make a major difference on how bright your light's will be, as well as get rid of the low rpm dimming. They do make plug in conversions if you want to upgrade to H4 or H1 bulbs and headlamp housings, and/or just to convert to the relay system

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HEADLIGHT-RELAY-WIRING-HARNESS-H4-HEADLAMP-LIGHT-BULB-CERAMIC-SOCKET-PLUGS-SET-/331214602226?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1dedbff2&vxp=mtr

Here's an easy schematic for a relay driven conversion:

relays (2).jpg

Here's a little thread I did on a HID conversion, if you want to go that far:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?47376-HID-Headlight-Conversion-1969-Plymouth-Roadrunner&highlight=hid

How far do you want to go with your upgrade? Just installing a relay system and using a sealed beam halogen will make a major difference on how bright your light's will be, as well as get rid of the low rpm dimming. They do make plug in conversions if you want to upgrade to H4 or H1 bulbs and headlamp housings, and/or just to convert to the relay system

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HEADLIGHT...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1dedbff2&vxp=mtr

Here's an easy schematic for a relay driven conversion:

View attachment 235777

Here's a little thread I did on a HID conversion, if you want to go that far:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...ersion-1969-Plymouth-Roadrunner&highlight=hid

Just read through your thread and I'm blown away. My weakest link in working on cars had always been electrical and your write up was great. Thank you.

I've seen whole kits for 5 3/4" headlights on eBay that include ballasts, bulbs, glass lenses with projectors installed, dual beam with halogen highs for $169 shipped. Any thoughts on theses after your install? Would I just need to upgrade the wiring and put a fuse inline somewhere?

Like these:http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-WHITE...h|Model:Satellite&hash=item3a9ed53c00&vxp=mtr

PS- OP, sorry for thread jacking.

Last edited:
I was at the same position as you but didn't want to run HID on a car from 1969, plus here it's not approved to do such conversion. I went with a Euro sealed beam conversion, and ended up paying way less for a brand that wasn't Hella using H1 and H2 bulbs.

I completed the wiring system about a week ago and this weekend I'll start installing the new lights. By looking at them I'd say they're about as good as the Hella - but time will tell when I see the light pattern. Cheaper versions tend to have a less sharp cut off in the pattern. I can post pictures when I get the chance.

I bought the same kit from ebay and installed it in my 71 Charger. Night and Day difference. I didn't upgrade the headlamps and don't plan to. I ran it off my battery post but I'm thinking about redoing it and running it off the alternator stud instead of the battery.

I did an H4 upgrade when rebuilding my 68RR. Got the $169 kit off Ebay. Has the Angel Eyes and all. Pretty straight forward but you will most likely have to modify the buckets. Mine turned out pretty sweet. I would do it again.

One thing I should mention when doing these upgrades, especially on a 4 headlamp system..........Your headlight buckets are spot specific, meaning the bucket's need to go in the appropriate spot. If not the lamps or lamp housings (depending which route you go) will either not seat the lamp/lamp housing in the correct orientation, and/or it will be impossible to aim your headlights correctly.

Pay attention to the outer lips on the buckets. They will be stamped either "HI/LOW" (for outer lights), and "HI" (for inner lights), your high beams. Also, there will be a "LT." stamped for left side, and a "RT.", for your right side.

Example:

asedse.jpg

cderf.jpg

One thing I should mention when doing these upgrades, especially on a 4 headlamp system..........Your headlight buckets are spot specific, meaning the bucket's need to go in the appropriate spot. If not the lamps or lamp housings (depending which route you go) will either not seat the lamp/lamp housing in the correct orientation, and/or it will be impossible to aim your headlights correctly.

Pay attention to the outer lips on the buckets. They will be stamped either "HI/LOW" (for outer lights), and "HI" (for inner lights), your high beams. Also, there will be a "LT." stamped for left side, and a "RT.", for your right side.

Example:

View attachment 235840

View attachment 235841

Pay heed to what Prop said. Location, Location, Location

Huh, I did not know that. Guess I better go out and check mine.

contact this guy over on A-bodies. I picked up a harness for my '70 swinger, BIG difference ! I believe he is doing them for B-bodies now. I will be getting one for my '68 coronet soon .... http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216514&highlight=headlamp+relay

I appreciate the positive review of my harness.

It's one of the best electrical upgrades that can be done on our mopars. Even using the older std headlights, there is a huge difference in output. Put a set of GE Nighthawk 6024NH halogen sealed beams in and it's even better.

The parts I use cost almost as much as those 4 headlight H4 ebay kits. I can buy those relays for under 50 cents per unit, and those complete kits for between $3 and $10. I'll pay more to use tyco/bosch products. IMO, headlight isn't a place to skimp on quality when it comes to a harness. There are also some design issues with that kit I'm not fond of, one fuse/circuit breaker, pulling power from starter relay without other upgrades... no thanks. Redundancy has benefits with this circuit!

My kit also hides easily in the stock clips, it's pretty stealth and not noticeable as it doesn't have the GM style covering on it.

Lots of options out there, some better than others. As I say, pick your parts, pay your money!

Hey Rob! Wasn't sure if you made over here to FBBO ...... do you have b-body harnesses?

Yes, I certainly do. I can build harnesses for a 2 or 4 headlight car and any body style. Sold a lot of E body 4 headlight kits lately.

I've done just about every body line Chrysler built from 60-79, A B C E F J M... all of them.

I ran out of violet wire today, have some coming on Monday and will be back in production.

Spent about ten minutes on the phone today with a customer troubleshooting a system... the relay ground wire got disconnected when other work was done on their car. Simple fix, but, lots of sellers won't, wouldn't or can't do that.

The 4 Headlight cars don't use the 6024 headlight, that's the 2 headlight cars. Don't want any confusion with 4 headlight guys ordering those as they are WAY too big for the 5.25 headlight bucket.

sending a PM right now for our 67 Charger!

Thanks for keeping this effort up and running!!!

Yes, I certainly do. I can build harnesses for a 2 or 4 headlight car and any body style. Sold a lot of E body 4 headlight kits lately.

I've done just about every body line Chrysler built from 60-79, A B C E F J M... all of them.

I ran out of violet wire today, have some coming on Monday and will be back in production.

Spent about ten minutes on the phone today with a customer troubleshooting a system... the relay ground wire got disconnected when other work was done on their car. Simple fix, but, lots of sellers won't, wouldn't or can't do that.

The 4 Headlight cars don't use the 6024 headlight, that's the 2 headlight cars. Don't want any confusion with 4 headlight guys ordering those as they are WAY too big for the 5.25 headlight bucket.

Hey Rob,

I sent you a pm at FABO

So Rob do you have a recommendation of headlights for the 4 -headlight guys?

Hey Rob, Not a big electrical myself, I guess instrutions come with your set up?

Auto Transport Service
Back