• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 20 year old famous 70 Charger Headlight Relay Upgrade.

70ChargerRT

Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
I’ve did the upgraded relay under the dash years ago but never got around to the headlight upgrade. I’m going to be running LED headlights. Maybe a stupid question but is there really a need to do the upgrade now with running LED lights or should I go ahead and do it, especially with all of the extra electronics that I’m running?

Just a stab in the dark but it would seem that with the low amp draw that LEDs have, the advantages that the headlight relays may provide would not be necessary.

Anytime you eliminate a voltage drop it is a good thing. Heat is reduced and wiring, switches, and connectors are happy.

Just a stab in the dark but it would seem that with the low amp draw that LEDs have, the advantages that the headlight relays may provide would not be necessary.
From what I can gather the bulbs I’ll be using on low for both bulbs would be a total draw of 3.8 amps and on high for all 4 lights would be a total draw of 10.4 amps. If im not wrong but I could be that’s still about 2 amps less for just 1 halogen light! I know there’s LEDs that draw more and some less but that’s what my bulbs pull.

Run them on relays. The benefit of getting that load off the OEM system is very beneficial.

Two halogens on high will draw about 8-10 amps total depending on input voltage. You may have cut the load in half.

Run them on relays. The benefit of getting that load off the OEM system is very beneficial.

Two halogens on high will draw about 8-10 amps total depending on input voltage. You may have cut the load in half.
I may have misfigured that or Mistyped it but when you run the high beams you’re running all 4 lights and your total amp draw should be 20 amps with Halogen. The LEDs I’m running will already cut that in half to 10.4 amps on high with All 4 lights and on dim it’s hardly nothing. I don’t care to do the upgrade but what I’m asking is, is the upgrade worth it with LED lights cutting the Amps way down.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back