• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner replacement, 70 Satellite

Local time
1:07 PM
Reaction score
hope this post isn't redundant..i'm new here and not great at "the internet". I have a 70 satellite, there is no earthly reason why i would ever remove a non-leaking original window if i can avoid it all all. so that said the upholstery guy says i need to do front and rear for the headliner. anyone know a way around this? if it helps, i am not restoring this car all fancy. it's to be a daily driver and not at all a show car (it's already my daily driver...i just wanna make the interior more wife friendly). I am fine with shortcuts as long as they mostly work.

It’s been many years since I did a headliner and I can assure you, some of those were done with the windows in place. It’s not like the fabric wraps over the fence or anything. Just watch your fingers on those metal spikes!

Has your "upholstery" guy ever done a mopar ? don't have to remove either.

Has your "upholstery" guy ever done a mopar ? don't have to remove either.
he had a lot of classic projects going...but nothing like my car. he had no inside garage though and i'm loathe to leave my car there with no windows in. his google reviews are amazing but it may be you're correct.

I don’t think I’d bother with an “uphohstery guy”. One rainy afternoon in the garage and you’re done.

It’s been many years since I did a headliner and I can assure you, some of those were done with the windows in place. It’s not like the fabric wraps over the fence or anything. Just watch your fingers on those metal spikes!
exactly what i was thinking. i have only ever done one, as a kid with my brother and it was a pontiac. so im ignorant on the matter.

Optimal its better with all glass out. With that said you certainly can do it with the glass in place. This is not an easy job. It requires a procedure and patience to do it right. Lots of how to videos on the tube. I was taking my car to a higher level and optioned for a professional to do my headliner and vinyl top.

I have a 68 GTX and I think they're about the same? The headliner gets glued to the roof
all along the front and that gets covered by the windshield gasket. No way to do that
without taking the windshield out! The rear has gripper strips that you could probably
do without taking the glass out, but I would never attempt it. The rear window is easy
to take out & easy to put in. Also, while they're out, you can repair any rust.
20210621_201848.jpg

Done it before & did it on my current car, without taking either glass out. I must be a freak of nature.

Turns out i'm getting a 50/50 yes to no ration on the whole matter, both here and from my car guy friends in the real world...so i may pull it out and take the opportunity to repaint the dashboard and do some sanding and just hope i don't have to pull them again when it's time for paint!

Auto Transport Service
Back