• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heat Shrink End Cap for Door Switch?

JR_Charger

Local time
12:49 PM
Reaction score
One of my door switches has a rubber coating on it, but the other is missing -

101_door_switch.JPG

I found these end caps on eBay -

heat_shrink_end_seal.jpeg

They're not quite right but they might shrink down o.k. The thing is, they all ship from China, and I'd rather not pay $6-8 for something that only costs pennies to make. There's got to be something similar or better in the U.S., I just haven't hit on the magical search term yet. Any ideas? Someone out there must have a box of these sitting in their work van.

One of my door switches has a rubber coating on it, but the other is missing -

View attachment 1570225

I found these end caps on eBay -

View attachment 1570226

They're not quite right but they might shrink down o.k. The thing is, they all ship from China, and I'd rather not pay $6-8 for something that only costs pennies to make. There's got to be something similar or better in the U.S., I just haven't hit on the magical search term yet. Any ideas? Someone out there must have a box of these sitting in there work van.
From my account on my local Electrical Supply company here in New Zealand.

They might cost more than a few pennies to make, but they are good.

I used some on the end of the seat levers of my truck.....before installing a set of OE seats.

1702019551148.png

Try Raychem as the brand search local to you. I use their stuff all the time.
I have a really big one to replace the worn out rubber handle grip on my 3-ton floor jack....just waiting to bring the 'group' blow torch home to shrink it on. :lol:

Just be sure to cut off any excess glue that runs out during the heating process....and don't burn the stuff while heating.

An electric heat gun would be best for the smaller shrinks. :thumbsup:

As an alternative idea, I have found that the liquid rubber that comes in a can (marketed as a coating for pliers handles) works well for plug wire holders (on bare steel), recoating on valve cover wire clips, hood latch handles, window glass stops, etc.
Mike

As an alternative idea, I have found that the liquid rubber that comes in a can (marketed as a coating for pliers handles) works well for plug wire holders (on bare steel), recoating on valve cover wire clips, hood latch handles, window glass stops, etc.
Mike
Plasti Dip. Yeah, some knuckleheads "dip" their entire cars in the stuff these days... :lol:

Those switches don’t have a rubber end, the metal end is factory.

They're ground wires, so Chrysler certainly didn't waste any money putting an insulated wire spade down there. That said, I find them with tape on them all the time from the last guy in there....

Those switches don’t have a rubber end, the metal end is factory.

Here's the driver's side -

101_door_switch_b.JPG

Passenger side again -

101_door_switch.JPG

The driver's side switch certainly looks factory. Could it be a replacement switch? At any rate, if the passenger side is correct I won't bother looking for an end cap to shrink over it.

What year is your Charger? Jamb doesn’t look like a 66-70.

you may have a replacement switch, or the factory had a batch with a rubber tip and you got one of each. We will never know.

most mopars (meaning millions of cars) came with metal ends on the switches.

Here's a replacement I had laying around
20231208_141057.jpg

As stated above, all the jamb switches I have ever seen were bare but, a rubber cap/covering would be easier on the paint.
Mike

What year is your Charger? Jamb doesn’t look like a 66-70.

you may have a replacement switch, or the factory had a batch with a rubber tip and you got one of each. We will never know.

most mopars (meaning millions of cars) came with metal ends on the switches.

You're right, I'll likely never know what happened but the most likely explanation is that the driver side switch wore out and the one with the rubberized end is a replacement.

Auto Transport Service
Back