• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB WTB orange air grabber filter cover and end cap for flapper door!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bday391

Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
70 rr Not sure which Cover I need to be correct the the for a 4 barrel 383 The long one or the standard cover will consider either one. I also need an end cap for the flapper door closest to the vacuum actuator if there is a difference?

Also needing the correct wire harness for the hood indicators that plugs into the bulk head connector

Any help would be awesome!!!!

Send me a message

Do you have the base already? If so that determines what lid or cover as you say… They do not interchange the base determines that.

I do have the oval base!
Ok. That determines what lid it takes. If the base has 2 studs on it, it takes the Large Oval lid like the one on the left. If no stud on base it uses the carb stud and it is the one on the right. They do not interchange. That said also be careful when buying a lid on the left as 6 pack is similiar looking but the screw hole spacing is different.

IMG_5639.jpeg

Ok. That determines what lid it takes. If the base has 2 studs on it, it takes the Large Oval lid like the one on the left. If no stud on base it uses the carb stud and it is the one on the right. They do not interchange. That said also be careful when buying a lid on the left as 6 pack is similiar looking but the screw hole spacing is different.

View attachment 1607428
Got one for sale??

View attachment 1607428
Does it matter what base you have compared to the air box on the the hood?? Is the airbox (universal) for either Cover and base??

Does it matter what base you have compared to the air box on the the hood?? Is the airbox (universal) for either Cover and base??
I honestly never had an oval air cleaner on a 70-72 airbox so I don’t know about fitment to that air box. Personally I would put the correct one on it which is the small round lid set-up. I will look for that flapper end today…

I honestly never had an oval air cleaner on a 70-72 airbox so I don’t know about fitment to that air box. Personally I would put the correct one on it which is the small round lid set-up. I will look for that flapper end today…
Let me know on the flapper cap as soon as you can!! Thank you

Let me know on the flapper cap as soon as you can!! Thank you
The oval base is the one that came with the hood. When I bought the setup. Supposed to be a 70 RR set up. but who knows could have been mixed by someone years ago!!

The oval base is the one that came with the hood. When I bought the setup. Supposed to be a 70 RR set up. but who knows could have been mixed by someone years ago!!
The more I research this I believe the Oval Base was supposed to be a 69 Ram charger rather then 70 but it is what I have right now and this project has been in the works for 7 years and I am so close to having it on the road. I will find one later!!

The more I research this I believe the Oval Base was supposed to be a 69 Ram charger rather then 70 but it is what I have right now and this project has been in the works for 7 years and I am so close to having it on the road. I will find one later!!
Correct that is 1969 and back except for Hemi they used those oval ones into 71. That said I believe either type would fit the 70-2 air box…

The correct 70-2 oval base looks similar to a 69 base except it takes the small round lid and filter…
70-2
1707764728677.jpeg

1707764774902.gif

Found the reproduction end cap.. Pm any interest.

IMG_5655.jpeg

IMG_5654.jpeg

IMG_5653.jpeg

Note that the air cleaner bases are different too based on which engines they were used on. For 383 engines the "throat" is taller due to the fact that this engine sat lower in the engine compartment than the 440. The below pictures are not mine - I forget where I got them from but they hopefully help detail the depth differences.
Air_grabber_air_cleaner4.jpg

Air_grabber_air_cleaner5.jpg

So bottom line is not all bases are the same either - there are two types and you need the correct one for your 383 or it will not seal well against the gasket on the hood.

A 70 Road Runner air cleaner assembly should look like the below picture (same as what @QuickBpBp posted, this picture just includes the decals as well).
20110726_1001.JPG

I forget where I got them from but they hopefully help detail the depth differences.
View attachment 1608108

View attachment 1608109

So bottom line is not all bases are the same either - there are two types and you need the correct one for your 383 or it will not seal well against the gasket on the hood.

A 70 Road Runner air cleaner assembly should look like the below picture (same as what @QuickBpBp posted, this picture just includes the decals as well).
View attachment 1608107
Those pics are from me on Nicks air cleaner page… I recognize my hand in the pics above!

Those pics are from me on Nicks air cleaner page… I recognize my hand in the pics above!
I'm glad - I like to give credit where it's due, so now I know! Thanks for the pictures - Nicks air cleaner page was very helpful to me back in the day!

Edit: I found another picture (this one's mine!) that shows the differences. 383 on the left and 440 on the right
20191129_152414.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back