• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Box With AC Restoration

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
I pulled the heater box out of my ‘71 Charger project, and I want to restore it. I saw a post on the forum that says the heater box man does a great job, so I talked to him today (around $675 est and all and everything done), I also saw a video on the tube (Tyler’s neighborhood) and saw him do a restore. My question is should I attempt myself and if so is there a book and resources ( I saw that Detroit Motors sells gaskets and seals), is there another good company to consider, or is the heater box man the one to go to???

Thanks again!!! In crazy California, but not crazy yet.

I would try it myself. YouTube is great for learning things. Do a search on DodgeCharger.com for HVAC restoration. I've seen several threads on it there. Good luck.

There are several threads on here that were very helpful.
I did mine last winter.
Take LOTS of photographs during disassembly, the will be needed for reference.
Detroit Muscle is where I got my gaskets and insulation from.
Have your heater core gone through and pressure tested, reuse it if possible, the remakes aren't nearly as well built and in some instances don't even fit properly.

As an added insurance policy I bought an extra A.C. heater box complete from a member here just so I could have an extra set of everything

Good luck

I attempted twice to have my A/C box restored, and each time the finished product was destroyed by UPS - not restored by the heater guy, but another guy who does excellent work. Make sure you go over the shipping and get things insured - these boxes are extremely easy to damage in shipping. The third time I opted for a rebuild kit and didn't send it out.

Craig

If the heater box is in fairly good shape, I would save the money and do it myself. Like BeeKool said, take lots of pictures of the tear down. Use Detroit muscle's kit. They provide pretty good directions. I have done a few of them for my restorations and have been happy with the outcome.
I used SEM Landau black vinyl dye on the housings and sent the heater core and AC evaporator out to a shop for evaluation and pressure tests. Not rocket science by any means. I think you will be happy with the results.

If the heater box is in fairly good shape, I would save the money and do it myself. Like BeeKool said, take lots of pictures of the tear down. Use Detroit muscle's kit. They provide pretty good directions. I have done a few of them for my restorations and have been happy with the outcome.
I used SEM Landau black vinyl dye on the housings and sent the heater core and AC evaporator out to a shop for evaluation and pressure tests. Not rocket science by any means. I think you will be happy with the results.
I'm doing a ac/heater box out of my 1966 Satellite. I also did just a heater box out of my Barracuda, that was a walk in the park. This ac/heater is a little harder.

It’s actually pretty easy, just looks intimidating. I’ve done (2) AC boxes myself and was quite pleased.

DYI, same some coin, and take MANY pictures to aid in re-assembly

Ok, tons of pictures and easy to take apart, and now on to removing rust, cleaning and painting, and getting the evap core tested. Most of these, although dirty and the metal is corroded, they plunge and push air. One, I can tell has a leak in a diagram. Where do I get a new one, or get them all checked out, cleaned and restored?

Thanks!

F9B0FB92-973D-4F17-A915-C546EA540820.jpeg C73179FC-EDC5-42E5-8CD6-44A248CE8E45.jpeg 2DEC2383-003E-42F1-A3E2-2904E10F7523.jpeg

The '71 box is not too hard to rebuild, and add new seals and such, but i have no idea how to rebuild the vacuum pods? My vacuum pods (or what ever thay are called) were in good shape in my car. My biggest problem was rebuilding the vacuum control switch. Somehow the plastic plug end had been cracked and broken. I could not find a B-Body control, but found a vacuum control that was almost the same in another car. I think an A-Body, but they have a different rubber vacuum circuit block inside, so I had to split both controls and glue the connector part onto the original control.

I did my own and as stated take LOT and LOTs of photos. When you think you have enough take 12 more, trust me. I bead blasted all the parts and repainted. Bob at GlenRay Radiator will re-core your heater core for $250. I would just do that for piece of mind as doing this job twice would SUCK. Like other stated the after market core are not the way to go. If you send it out you will likely get an aftermarket core.

Those vacuum pods aren't repopped from anywhere. How do you really know if one is bad? Just asking. I used a vacuum gauge on all of mine just to see if it held and worked under a vacuum. Then I bead blasted all of them, painted, and re-installed with gaskets from DMT. Yes, a non-A/C box is easier but can be accomplished with time and effort.

HB intalled.jpg thumbnail_20150117_150430.jpg thumbnail_20150117_150437.jpg thumbnail_20150117_150448.jpg thumbnail_20150117_162516.jpg thumbnail_20150117_170821.jpg thumbnail_20150117_170833.jpg thumbnail_20150117_170854.jpg thumbnail_20150117_170905.jpg

Those vacuum pods aren't repopped from anywhere. How do you really know if one is bad? Just asking. I used a vacuum gauge on all of mine just to see if it held and worked under a vacuum. Then I bead blasted all of them, painted, and re-installed with gaskets from DMT. Yes, a non-A/C box is easier but can be accomplished with time and effort.

That is exactly how you test them!

Forgot to mention that after I cleaned the case, I simply used a clear coat to protect it all and the markings on the case from factory

Ok, thanks for all the help everyone and here’s another question while I find an auto AC guy in the LA area! What is the best way to remove the old cellophane sheets???? Harder to remove than rust! Heat gun?

AFF747BC-7428-4662-9725-953A3E65B621.jpeg A1B29412-C0F7-47DC-A1C9-C5AB36758183.jpeg

Heat it and scrape it off. Or go to Home Depot or Lowes and go to the paint area and get some MEK (Methyl ethyl keto). If you get some, be careful. It stinks, have good ventilation

Auto Transport Service
Back