• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater hose routing from heater valve to heater core on 73 RR?

idrivemopar

Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
So, my service manual does not show the routing for heater hoses for Satellite/RR, but everything else. Got the heater valve to engine hooked up, as that can only go one way. I was just wondering if it matters which side of the core is the inlet and which is the outlet on the car? Anyone know if it matters?

Hi, on my non a/c 73 Roadrunner I have a 1/2" hose that comes from the inlet manifold and goes to the lower of the two heater intake pipes on the bulkhead.
I have a tap/valve installed on that hose which enables me to have the heating on or off. All works well.

If they are routed the same as 69's, the hoses should cross along the firewall. I remember laying mine nice and parallel years ago. I think it was Cranky that set me straight on the proper routing. Maybe pm him as I think he had a picture from a manual showing the in and out of the core and pump.

Mine does have the clips on the inner fender to route the hoses through too.

So, my service manual does not show the routing for heater hoses for Satellite/RR, but everything else. Got the heater valve to engine hooked up, as that can only go one way. I was just wondering if it matters which side of the core is the inlet and which is the outlet on the car? Anyone know if it matters?

you didn't say if it was an A/C car or not.

Yes, AC car, small block. I have seen where some cars cross over between the valve and the core and some that don't.

I think mine was all original until I tried to replace the valve.

Had all original spring clamps except one.

I had pics in the "What did you do..." thread.

I just had to change the valve to intake hose, and it was OEM with Mopar logo.

Here you go......

image.jpg

And overall....image.jpg

Hope this helps.

Interesting, yours go straight through, however, I found a note in the service manual for Satellite/Roadrunner, that says to see the "Barracuda Service procedure" for heater hose connections, but the illustration appears to show the heater core connections are vertical not horizontal, and the Valiant 340 shows the hoses crossed over from left to right, but the Fury 340 shows them straight through. So, I guess its anyones choice here.

When you think about it, it really doesn't matter. The inlet and outlet for the heater core are the same. The valve really only acts to control the flow throughout the core and allow for a small amount of coolant to pass to relieve any air in the system and keep the coolant fresh in the core.

I reinstalled mine as they were originally run.....if that helps.

javier.

I agree with 73 runner, the inlet and outlet are the same, but started to think about it another way because of an article I recently read about horsepower loss via turning the water pump, power steering pump, alternator ect. The article said you can lose anywhere from 25-50 hp turning all of the front drive accessories and backed that theory up on the dyno.
So back to the heater core - I wish I had a pic of mine but I don't, sorry. For the two hoses feeding the heater core, I imagine one hose feeding towards the bottom of the core and the other hose feeding the top of the heater core. Just like a radiator. So depending on how you have it hooked up you are either pushing water up through the core or down through the core. Pushing water down through the core should be less drag on the water pump and less hp loss.

I must have too much time on my hands this morning to think about this crap, lol.

Rocky, that's an interesting observation, and with my lines crossed over, it is feeding the core from the top down.

the normal rule would be flow the water in the lower fitting so the air is removed easier
and it does not take any more energy to flow either way

heater hose connections

trying to connect heater hoses on my 73 ply roadrunner with 400 cu in and ac; I see the hoses go from the firewall to the control valve and then (can't see pic everything good) to what are these two (2) hoses connected. the water pump? What size are the hoses? Thx for any info u can provide.

Auto Transport Service
Back