• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heavy duty drum brakes help

pro-streeter

Local time
1:10 AM
Reaction score
Restoring A12 RR. Looking for the proper parts and source to rebuild the heavy duty brakes. They do not have the automatic adjustable feature.
11 inch.
If it is not possible what have you done in this case with your A12

I have seen and recently ordered 11x 2.5 inch brake parts hardware and adjuster kits on Rock Auto I will let you know how they fit. Should have the parts by next week.

If you will avail yourself, the SEARCH box in the upper right of most FBBO pages will lead you to
a wealth of information - like when I did my own drums last year (same exact ones you have):
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...l-now-for-something-totally-different.218808/

1. In a nutshell, if you insist on all USA-made stuff, get ready for quite the hunt.
I'm pretty sure I got the last of some of the parts I sourced...

2. It isn't hard to convert the front brakes to self-adjusting ones - I did it, quite easily.
2a. New wheel cylinders are spotty out there USA-made; old stock new ones from the
aftermarket are your best bet. All 4 of mine got replaced with either Eis, Wagner or B-W.

3. What Rick sells isn't exactly all USA-made; be very careful about that with him.
I respect Professor Ehrenberg mightily, but that became a real bone of contention between us
(he fibbed some).

4. Unless you get REAL lucky (or the resident "I got all you need" fella buzzes this thread, which
I bet he does eventually), USA-made shoes are not gonna happen - UNLESS you choose what I did,
which was to have Porterfield Brakes out in California make you a set.
Yes, I said "make" - as in fresh, right after you order them.
They have a really aggressive "street" formula and a full race one; I chose the street one and these
rascals pretty much bite hard, like new semi-metallics would.
www.porterfield-brakes.com

5. Drums are an issue if US-made is desired...and forget NOS ($$$$).
They may be the one area where some compromise is needed; fortunately, I had collected enough of
both the 2.5" and the 3" wide ones to come up with a good set that machined fine.

All in all, not a hard project. The usual - do your homework, do the chasing, slap it all together!

Dave, I don't have these anymore but you can still buy them at RockAuto for cheap. The kits I had showed MADE IN USA. They were the correct parts for non-adjustable drums found on 69 Road Runner and A12 cars. BTW. One box services one axle. They were so cheap that I bought two boxes each to have a spare on the shelf. I buy extra USA parts when I find them. I'd imagine the restoration shops re-box these and charge a premium.
48773057371_db577b2a1b_b.jpg

What i have found with most hardware kits is they are not made for the 3'' shoes, so you end up with pins that are too short to secure the shoe to the backing plate. The last Napa kits i bought also had an incorrect spring that secures the self adjuster. What i found the toughest is the front drums. You either settle for chineeze, or good used. I did buy a set of the chineeze, but havent used them yet. Id like to know anyone experience with them.

Auto Transport Service
Back