• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello all 440 fuel pump pushrod question?

Dude @turbine68rt offered you a good used one at no cost. PM him so this thread will stop going in circles!

I know you have help a few on this topic from what i have seen comp and howard is a bad choice.
Mine are all stockers.....pulled from used engines many years ago. I started saving them when I found out that the replacements sucked.

So whats the big deal if a used rods length is worn a few thousands as long as the dia.of the rod is good, the fuel pump has preloaded spring pressure & the amount of pump stroke loss wouldn't amount to anything,I would polish the rod & ends of a good used one & run it without worrying.

So whats the big deal if a used rods length is worn a few thousands as long as the dia.of the rod is good, the fuel pump has preloaded spring pressure & the amount of pump stroke loss wouldn't amount to anything,I would polish the rod & ends of a good used one & run it without worrying.
Thats exactly what will be done.

Take it to a welder and have him build it up and grind it.

Ohh yes that is the way.

That is what I had done to my fuel pump pushrod in 1987. It is still in use today.

My dad, a welder, could pick a rod, heat to a certain "color", and use a specific quench/cool down method and hit a Rockwell C +/- 2. He would build up teeth onto gears for industrial gear boxes.

Old school welders were un-degreed metallurgists.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back