• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello from Green Country Oklahoma!

Turbobus

Local time
8:10 PM
Reaction score
Bought my 73 charger se when I was 17, now I’m 58. Sold it twice but was able to repurchase it! I’m retired now so it has been my project for the last 2 years. What started out as an SE sunroof, 400 ci 2 bbl is now a 500 ci hardtop sunroof Console car, with aluminum heads, roller cam and rockers, Forged crank, h-beam rods, aluminum intake, holley 750 dp 8-3/4 3.23 sure grip and much more. New quarter's, paint including engine compartment, waiting on leather from Legendary, its been a long road! But I do have a problem, oil in coolant, no coolant in oil though, gotta pull the new heads have them checked for flatness and install new gaskets and if that doesn’t fix it I guess it’s time for a new block, sad face! Any ideas? Anyone ever seen head gasket allow oil in coolant but no coolant in oil? Block is from someone from work, out of motorhome, no other history.
Thanks
Turbobus

3D4BE062-B885-4A7A-9D44-10506BD80685.jpeg 4F2CE963-7FFD-454B-9908-AFF93B193E40.jpeg FB01F4C8-A647-47DB-A288-1A8AC7D4E780.jpeg 4478A118-16F1-445B-A8E5-94E832091B20.jpeg CB71AED6-01E4-42AD-A66D-E629D62F78D8.jpeg 40DB10B7-810E-4FDB-BB0A-CA59FBA7BE66.jpeg 529F7505-A400-4543-919F-10FC346E5F92.jpeg

Bought my 73 charger se when I was 17, now I’m 58. Sold it twice but was able to repurchase it! I’m retired now so it has been my project for the last 2 years. What started out as an SE sunroof, 400 ci 2 bbl is now a 500 ci hardtop sunroof Console car, with aluminum heads, roller cam and rockers, Forged crank, h-beam rods, aluminum intake, holley 750 dp 8-3/4 3.23 sure grip and much more. New quarter's, paint including engine compartment, waiting on leather from Legendary, its been a long road! But I do have a problem, oil in coolant, no coolant in oil though, gotta pull the new heads have them checked for flatness and install new gaskets and if that doesn’t fix it I guess it’s time for a new block, sad face! Any ideas? Anyone ever seen head gasket allow oil in coolant but no coolant in oil? Block is from someone from work, out of motorhome, no other history.
Thanks
Turbobus

View attachment 989570 View attachment 989571 View attachment 989572 View attachment 989573 View attachment 989574 View attachment 989575 View attachment 989576

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. I'm in green country too. Up at Grand Lake. Hope you figure it out and I run into you sometime.

welcome to FBBO nice looking charger hope you get it fixed

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. I'm in green country too. Up at Grand Lake. Hope you figure it out and I run into you sometime.
Thanks, I’ll get it figured out, just kinda knocked the wind out of my sails! Any mopar events in our area?

Welcome aboard from Ohio. ATF in coolant(?),better check.

Howdy from stilly!
How long has the engine ran?
Maybe 45 mins. Thought it might be cutting oil from machining but its too clean. Used paper towel to wick oil from rad, squeezed out paper towel and walla! Looks Just like Valvoline, did this at least ten times.

welcome to the site,so is this the 1st startup on the engine? You ran it 45 minutes so did it run good ,good oil pressure and good temp? Were you checking the antifreeze for level and then noticed the oil?What head gaskets,was engine block decked? More info the more we can help.

welcome to the site,so is this the 1st startup on the engine? You ran it 45 minutes so did it run good ,good oil pressure and good temp? Were you checking the antifreeze for level and then noticed the oil?What head gaskets,was engine block decked? More info the more we can help.
Thanks!, yes, first start, thermostat began opening after about 6 mins, temp was 185f. Oil press was 62 psi. Ran smooth, no misfiring or rough idle. Loud as heck, just have head pipes! Shut it down after about 10-15 mins due to a fuel leak so I thought I would check coolant level as well, level was about 1/2” low thats when I found oil on top of coolant. Dabbed at the oil with a scott rag, definitely engine oil. Ran for 10-15 mins longer, all temps and press good, let it cool down, took about an hour for the press in rad to come down, opened rad, more oil! This time I used several rags and dabbed with more authority, pushed them as far left and right of filler neck as I could. I’ve done this several times, in fact doing it as I type this. I realize it doesn’t take much oil on water to look like a catastrophe but my brain is thinking the worst especially since I have relatively no history on the block other than it was in a motorhome and ran fine. There are no external leaks, oil or coolant. Engine oil looks perfect, no milkiness or cloudy. Block was bored, honed and .005” off of deck to clean it up. Vatted, new freeze plugs, cam bearings, usual stuff. I installed 440 source 500 stroker kit, used their aluminum heads, comp full roller etc. It should be ready to check again now.
Sorry if this post is too long!

Welcome to FBBO from SoCal
Thanks GetX’d, spent quite a bit of time in your neck of the woods out on the beach, well, not on the beach but at a refinery on the beach! Lol!

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest
Thanks,! I’ve also spent a lot of time in the Northwest Working at refineries and paper plants, also spent a summer with my Aunt in Glide Or. not far from Roseberg. The Pacific Northwest is beautiful! Lucky person!

Auto Transport Service
Back