• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello From San Diego

Tltony

Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
Hello all and thank you for admitting me to your forum. My name is Tony Cortes I'm a lifelong builder, hot rodder, racer and cruiser. I'm 72 but still very involved in Baja racing (Spec Trophy Truck) and the local circle track and hot rod scene. I founded True Line Wheel Alignment in 1985 and still own and operate this business. I have my own 1500 sq. ft. "race shop" in the back of True Line where I have all of my machinery, welders, tools etc.

This is my first Mopar. It's a 66 Charger that I inherited in 2019 from a 40 year friend and business associate. The car has been in one of Ernie Mauro's sheds in East San Diego County for over 30 years. It was last registered in 1977 and shows a little over 34k on the odometer (I suspect that it might have been around once though). Since I picked it up in July 2023 I have been working on it both cosmetically and mechanically. I first changed all fluids, pulled the plugs, oiled the cylinders and then reinstalled everything. It got a new fuel system including a fuel tank and sender, fuel hoses, filters and rebuilt the carburetors. I removed the rusty chrome valve covers and had them powder coated wrinkle black. It has all original paint that is shining up pretty well. I have reupholstered the drivers seat and the carpet due primarily to past rat infestation but the rest of the interior is original. I have the hidden headlights working properly but still have to tackle the luminescent dash. I have powder coated the wheels close to body cover and installed the "not correct" dog dishes. All of the lights and most of the gauges work but I'll keep after it. I'm not a purist but while I have it I will keep it pretty true to it's pedigree. I've been told by a couple of folks that this is an "Entry level Hemi" but it's good enough for me. :) It runs and drives beautifully and draws a crowd wherever I take it. I've got a few other cars and at my age have become pretty selective in the projects that I take on...but this one seemed worth while to me. If you've made it this far thanks for your interest. BTW, I need a hood if anyone knows of one.
IMG_5212.JPG
IMG_5216.JPG
IMG_5223.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG
IMG_5247.JPG
IMG_5256.JPG
IMG_5600.JPG
IMG_5922.JPG
IMG_5931.JPG
IMG_5926.JPG

welcome to FBBO nice looking charger and a Hemi doesn’t get any better than that

…I've been told by a couple of folks that this is an "Entry level Hemi" but it's good enough for me…

Entry level Hemi? It exceeds my expectations that’s for sure. Very nice car and kudos for your persistence in bringing ‘er back to life.
And greetings sir, welcome from NY!

Hello all and thank you for admitting me to your forum. My name is Tony Cortes I'm a lifelong builder, hot rodder, racer and cruiser. I'm 72 but still very involved in Baja racing (Spec Trophy Truck) and the local circle track and hot rod scene. I founded True Line Wheel Alignment in 1985 and still own and operate this business. I have my own 1500 sq. ft. "race shop" in the back of True Line where I have all of my machinery, welders, tools etc.

This is my first Mopar. It's a 66 Charger that I inherited in 2019 from a 40 year friend and business associate. The car has been in one of Ernie Mauro's sheds in East San Diego County for over 30 years. It was last registered in 1977 and shows a little over 34k on the odometer (I suspect that it might have been around once though). Since I picked it up in July 2023 I have been working on it both cosmetically and mechanically. I first changed all fluids, pulled the plugs, oiled the cylinders and then reinstalled everything. It got a new fuel system including a fuel tank and sender, fuel hoses, filters and rebuilt the carburetors. I removed the rusty chrome valve covers and had them powder coated wrinkle black. It has all original paint that is shining up pretty well. I have reupholstered the drivers seat and the carpet due primarily to past rat infestation but the rest of the interior is original. I have the hidden headlights working properly but still have to tackle the luminescent dash. I have powder coated the wheels close to body cover and installed the "not correct" dog dishes. All of the lights and most of the gauges work but I'll keep after it. I'm not a purist but while I have it I will keep it pretty true to it's pedigree. I've been told by a couple of folks that this is an "Entry level Hemi" but it's good enough for me. :) It runs and drives beautifully and draws a crowd wherever I take it. I've got a few other cars and at my age have become pretty selective in the projects that I take on...but this one seemed worth while to me. If you've made it this far thanks for your interest. BTW, I need a hood if anyone knows of one.
View attachment 1532278View attachment 1532280View attachment 1532281View attachment 1532282View attachment 1532283View attachment 1532284View attachment 1532285View attachment 1532286View attachment 1532288View attachment 1532290
Welcome from NJ Ant-knee! Sweet hemi!
IMG_3817.gif
IMG_3926.gif
IMG_3890.gif
IMG_3677.gif
IMG_3296.gif
IMG_2869.gif
IMG_3156.gif
IMG_3259.gif
IMG_2199.gif
IMG_3073.gif

Welcome from 6 hours north of you on the central coast. I used to live in Ramona, heard of your shows but never attended. The Cajon and Santee are hotbeds for off road companies. I used to work at the Dodge shop off Wheatlands. NTG Racing.

Wow.. I haven't seen that car in a looooong time.... I was stationed in Coronado back in
77-79 and if it wasn't that Charger it was it's twin that would occasionally be out in the Chula Vista, National City area... Doubt even then that there would be two Burgundy 66-67 Hemi Chargers so I'm guessing that's the one...

Welcome to FBBO..

Welcome from Southern California, a few hours north of you.
Nice Hemi Project there, love the color.
Good luck, and lot's of knowledge here for the build.
I'm sure you'll find that hood in the For Sale Section, keep looking.

Nice intro :poke: & Hemi Charger

welcome to FBBO, from NorCal Sierras

Welcome from Alabama, I wouldn't say there was a entry level Hemi anything. That was a 1/3 the price of the car added to it in the day, making it the most expensive option available.

Auto Transport Service
Back