• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello, new member. Have question. Have a 1968 roadrunner,

Terry Boffo

Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
Have a 1968 roadrunner, putting a 1969 383 in thats bored .040, exhaust 3 inch to the rear, 4 speed. Have the 516 heads that are stock, and I want to liven these things up. Any sugestions ?

Yeah, lots of suggestions buuuutttt

What’s your budget? What do you mean by liven up? What rear and ratio do you have? Stock vs aftermarket suspension?

Have a 1968 roadrunner, putting a 1969 383 in thats bored .040, exhaust 3 inch to the rear, 4 speed. Have the 516 heads that are stock, and I want to liven these things up. Any sugestions ?
How fast do ya wanna go? Getting those 516's ported and larger valves installed can easily cost as much as some new complete aluminum heads out there today that flow great and are ready to go. It all boils down to if you have a good reputable shop that you can trust to do quality work and how much budget damage you will occur with parts and labor vs. the cost of the new heads. You can easily kick the **** out of a $1000.00 bucks with parts and labor, it think will be pretty much a push if you ask me.....

Stock , 410 gear, I have a .040 bored 383, running 10/1 pistons. Now I want to get some advice on my 516 heads. What to do to them to liven up the motor.

Welcome to the site....but....you will probably get a better response if you asked technical questions in the correct forum as this forum is for introducing yourself and posting pics etc of your ride.

Welcome to FBBO from SoCal - lots you can do with that puppy. Let’s see some pics

Welcome aboard from Ohio.

Welcome!
Call Modern Cylinder Head and ask them about headwork and cost. Are you talking about a simple valve job and seals or portwork with valve job, guides and new hardware?
If you are looking for more power, you will be better off starting with a good set of aluminum heads. My two cents.

What can you do for yourself automotive wise? The more you can do, the cheaper things will be as 1000 bucks won't get you much these days unless you can shop swap meets etc...

Here's my two cents.... but first, what do you know about the cam?? So, if I were you, i'd be hesitant about putting a bunch of cash into 516 heads. They may turn out ok after a lot of work, but they'll always have a crappy resale value since they were never desirable to begin with. I think dollars would be better spent on some aluminum heads as others have said. Myself personally, I'd stretch yourbudget a bit, and start at Edelbrocks at the very least, and stay away from the risky Chinese stuff that's too tempting pricewise. For that matter, you could probably hunt down a worked over set of 516's from a guy who cant get a good buck out of them himself. They are out there (and other iron closed heads too). HTH, Lefty71

20190406_165106.jpg

I am trying to return this 68 roadrunner back to the road. Needing many parts for it. To start off - cable from gas pedal to carb, shifter and linkage ( 4 spd ) , clutch linkage from pedal to bellhousing. Just started. Thanks :

Welcome from the show me state!!

Auto Transport Service
Back