• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help a youngster with value of this Super Bee...

lukefortney

Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I am 28 and did not grow up around these older cars. I decided to ditch my new challenger and now I am looking at buying this 1969 Dodge Super Bee.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e/1797987.html

VIN: WM23H9E136484

It has a 440 six pack, but it is not original motor. The restoration looks very complete and of high quality, at least it appears so from pictures and description. I really don't care that the motor is not original, I am just going to drive and enjoy the car, won't show it real often.

Is the price fair? I've seen some that came from the factory with 440 six packs priced from $60,000 to $130,000, so I'm just not sure whether it is a decent price or not. Thanks in advance.

That's a premium price for a non-original car, though it looks really nice...

If I were in your shoes, I'd start with a cheaper A-body (duster, dart, demon, 64-69 barracuda) to find out if you really enjoy driving a classic, doing regular maintenance, and such. They're a blast if you like that sort of thing.

If ya gotta have a super bee a12 clone, there ought to be few driver quality ones out there that'll fit your intentions for far less than the price of this one.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I would pass, its expensive and non numbers matching. Yes a lot is made about the # matching game, but the less you have to explain when you go to sell, the easier and more $ you get...pass on it.

If I where you I would go after exactly what Mopar designed for your age bracket 50 years ago. Go shop for a 1969 Roadrunner, high 20s low 30s you can get something very nice, all matching, maybe a few bugs easy to fix....get it...get some high test gas....wax and burn tires....FUN

Heck,
Ill sell you mine with the 1970 426-Hemi for $50K
(With the original 383 HP all built, ready to go)

I am a sucker for yellow Super bees :headbang: and I really like this one :headbang::headbang: but like the others I think it is priced to high....maybe they will come down on the price. One piece of advice I can give is don't over spend your budget because it's no fun having a sweet ride if you can't afford it or if it causes you financial stress. Good luck, if you do buy it or another Mopar be sure and let us know about it. :icon_thumright:

Bad car, go stand against the wall!!!!

53806893-100-0.jpg

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really do love this color combo with the vinyl roof and black hood. I also really love the 440 6 pack/4spd. I would definitely be open to a hemi, but ever since I was a little kid I've loved the six pack. I went to car shows a lot with my old man (chevy guy), and I just thought it was the coolest thing ever. He is trying to talk me into a Chevelle or Nova btw.

I was considering a new challenger hell cat, but after thinking about it I realized that you can't throw a dead cat without hitting a challenger these days. Maybe I ought to get something with some more character. The price range doesn't bother me, but I don't want to overpay for a car, when I can go down the street and buy the same thing for way less.

Also, I want something that is done being restored. I think its cheaper to buy a car already restored. Most guys enjoy the process or restoring cars, either that or they prefer to pay for it over several years. I'm not one of those guys. I like driving them. I went to school to be a mechanic and worked as a mechanic for a couple years before changing careers. I've helped my dad restore a couple as well. (he has a dozen or so) I still like to tinker, but a full restore is not something I enjoy.

It's not a top notch restoration, and they're asking to much in my opinion. I think you can do better if you shop around.

I can see why you like the looks of this car. She's a beauty. I have a six pack GTX and its insured for around that price - however that's a top price for that car. Especially given its not the original motor. I almost hate to say it because they probably have that kind of money wrapped up in that puppy.

But im going to agree with the guys above in that both its priced too high, and you could get just as nice a car - numbers matching - for less. Shop around a bit more there are some beauties out there for a better price.

You're not that young, there's a few of us that have you beat (24). lol
If you are set on a six pack car or six barrel (as Plymouth calls it) I would definitely look for a numbers matching car. Otherwise you might as well look at bee's and roadrunners that originally had 383's and are now sporting 440/6 for half that price. The guys here are super knowledgeable and have the answer for just about anything you could ask. May I ask what you plan on doing with the car? Daily driver, shows, weekend cruiser, strip car?

Auto Transport Service
Back