• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help, Can't make up my mind!

Haha you right, but it's less complicated with the cars. Guess i just have to buy something before 70 and keep the 71 and try to enjoy them both. Expensive but hey money comes and goes hopefully the cars stay!

I'd keep the RR if it were me. Not too many B bodies I don't like, but those 71+ RR's are a good looking car. And even here in my part of the USA, you almost never see them.

Regarding motor, if it were me I'd throw a cam, intake and some ported Trickflow heads at it this winter and look at tweaking your rear end gear ratio a bit. Then if you decide to stroke it, the intake and heads can bolt right back onto any stroker.

The 71-74 Satellite/Road Runner/GTX models REALLY need wider tires with more offset. I think that I may have overlooked them for so long because on stock width wheels, the car looks like an elephant standing on a small stool, just tucked under with a narrow stance. The NASCAR versions had the cars hunkered down with huge tires pushed out wide, giving the cars a real aggressive look. If that look can be pulled off for the street, I like it.
I have felt the same way since they were new, and I knew it had to do with the wide, rounded rear 1/4 panels and how they looked "off" with stock width tires, but your description nailed it! I have always wanted to like the way they looked, but the rear quarters' bulge and stock width tires look was something I couldn't get past. My Mopar brother/best friend and I went to Bristol back in the 80s for a Mopar only drag race (awesome track-thunder valley) and there was a tubbed 71 RR there with fat rear tires, lowered, with ground effects and that car looked GREAT! So for me, tubbed with fat rear tires did the trick, along with not having so much "space" between the rounded bottom of the sides of the car and the ground. I had a 71 Charger R/T back in 78+79, and they need wide rear tires too.
Now I like wide rear tires on any B body, and for me, the 70 Roadrunner is the most "modern" looking that still retains that sexy coke bottle body style, and they look great with fat rear tires too. Here's mine, with 9x17 rear aluminum Rally wheels, stock fenderwells, stock leafspring location, 315/35/17s rear quarters FULL of wheel and tire :)
20161022_130712-1.jpg

20170318_104646.jpg

Last edited:
Lets say i stroke it, between 450-500hp and starts tweeking the gear ratio. Isn't like im strangle the hp so it feels less or is its just a must.. i mean now i cruz about 60mph on the highway otherwise the rpm goes to high.. or just that i can go longer on the gears?

Sweet car bio, really nice!!

Lets say i stroke it, between 450-500hp and starts tweeking the gear ratio. Isn't like im strangle the hp so it feels less or is its just a must.. i mean now i cruz about 60mph on the highway otherwise the rpm goes to high.. or just that i can go longer on the gears?

Sweet car bio, really nice!!
Do you know what rear end ratio you have? I had a 3.23 in my 71 Charger R/T auto, 8 3/4. I thought that was OK as an all around rear gear, BUT now I have a 3.54 in a Dana and a 4 speed in my RR, and I like it!
To get to the point, find out what rear gear ratio you have. Think about whether you plan on/enjoy "top speed" runs on the highway or quick sprints on the street or track. At the track, do you run 1/8th or 1/4 mile? What I have found is that there is no way that I can compete for fastest car, and there aren't those many opportunities to go really fast, but quick is a lot more fun, much more useable, and I run 1/4 mile tracks, so I'm not talking about some crazy high rear end gear, but if you went from a 3.23 to a 3.91 the difference would be pretty noticeable. NOTE: If "going faster than 60 makes the rpm go too high" right now, it sounds like you already have a very high rear end gear already.
If you go from the 400 you have to a stroker kit in your block, that will be a major game changer too! We used to think of the 400s with their pitifully low compression as boat anchors, but a stroker kit, cam, heads, etc turn those into one of the most desirable motors!
I get nostalgic when I see the inside of a 71 Roadrunner. Identical to my 71 Charger.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, a 3.91, 4 speed, 500 HP/5XX TQ 71 Roadrunner WITH BIG FAT rear tires would be AWESOME!

Do you know what rear end ratio you have? I had a 3.23 in my 71 Charger R/T auto, 8 3/4. I thought that was OK as an all around rear gear, BUT now I have a 3.54 in a Dana and a 4 speed in my RR, and I like it!
To get to the point, find out what rear gear ratio you have. Think about whether you plan on/enjoy "top speed" runs on the highway or quick sprints on the street or track. At the track, do you run 1/8th or 1/4 mile? What I have found is that there is no way that I can compete for fastest car, and there aren't those many opportunities to go really fast, but quick is a lot more fun, much more useable, and I run 1/4 mile tracks, so I'm not talking about some crazy high rear end gear, but if you went from a 3.23 to a 3.91 the difference would be pretty noticeable. NOTE: If "going faster than 60 makes the rpm go too high" right now, it sounds like you already have a very high rear end gear already.
If you go from the 400 you have to a stroker kit in your block, that will be a major game changer too! We used to think of the 400s with their pitifully low compression as boat anchors, but a stroker kit, cam, heads, etc turn those into one of the most desirable motors!
I get nostalgic when I see the inside of a 71 Roadrunner. Identical to my 71 Charger.

It's gonna be for 1/4m and quick runs at street, i think 1/8 is way to much for a "daily" in the long run. It's not way to high on the rpm at 60mph but it's just feels like thats were it's most comfortable at highway! Can speed 90mph easy but its just feels more "stressful" judging the sound. Haven't opened and checked inside yet but i would belive that's it original 3.23.. so start with the motor check the rear end and see how it's drive and take it from there. Anyone knows how the McLeod Racing 75209, Super streetpro clutch is? Thinking i need a new and better one.

This is a car that made the rounds in the magazines in the early 2000s. Some don't like the big wheel look but I feel the opposite. The large wheelwells and "fuselage" styling absolutely need wide tires to make the car look right.
I saw this car up close in Las Vegas 2003. View attachment 510259
Same page, the box fenders have to be full of rubber & well inside the wheel wells, no gaps in between arch & wheel. Are those 68 corner markers in front fenders? Sure looks a lot better than the oversized rectangular markers. A good looking car.
68 Coronet is my favorite, 69 Coronet will do but i can't stand 70 Coronet...nose looks like the godawful cats eye glasses women wore in the fifties.
68-70 Belvedere/Satellite/RR/GTX all good with the 70 my preference, i like the smooth sides without the eyebrows/blisters.
69 Charger 500 is my favorite of the Charger stylings, such a sweet roofline with the plug......I love the history of the Daytonas & Superbirds but do not find them attractive......not sub-lime, but spectacle imo.

It's gonna be for 1/4m and quick runs at street, i think 1/8 is way to much for a "daily" in the long run. It's not way to high on the rpm at 60mph but it's just feels like thats were it's most comfortable at highway! Can speed 90mph easy but its just feels more "stressful" judging the sound. Haven't opened and checked inside yet but i would belive that's it original 3.23.. so start with the motor check the rear end and see how it's drive and take it from there. Anyone knows how the McLeod Racing 75209, Super streetpro clutch is? Thinking i need a new and better one.
What are Your RPM's right now @ 60 mph? With 3:23 butt gearing, You should be able to cruise @ 70 mph @ less than 3000 rpm. My Dodge Fireball class C RV has 4:10 rear gear...a 360/727, & at 55 mph i'm turning just about 3000 rpm.

I have no ide why i typed 90mph i was trying to type 70mph haha no rpm gauge in the car so i really dont know. But yea i think its somewhere around 3000 at 70mph. Guess i'll pull the cover and see

I have no ide why i typed 90mph i was trying to type 70mph haha no rpm gauge in the car so i really dont know. But yea i think its somewhere around 3000 at 70mph. Guess i'll pull the cover and see
Why not install a tachometer? Surprises me Your car does not have factory tach....it's a Road Runner, right?

Yes, seen some others with the same. Two big ones, Speed - Oil Pressure, Gas. Small alt and temp. especially when it's a 4speed as well.

Correct me if wrong, but there was 3 options on 71 to 74.. think ive readit somewhere before so tach was an option back then

Last edited:
You should be able to count driveshaft revolutions vs tire revolutions to determine rear ring and pinion ratio. 1 revolution of the tire = ? turns of the driveshaft or vice versa, 3.xx turns of the driveshaft = 1 tire revolution.
Oh, and get a tach! :poke: :)
I have an Autometer with an external (included) shift light. Love it! When I install my Dakota Digital dash I am going to buy an external programmable stand alone shift light I like the light so much. I don't think there is a compatable one from DD.
With a stock 440 4bbl and a 3.23 my 71 Charger R/T did around 130, but I don't think I was at redline.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back