• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help coolant leak

cherokeechief79

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
we put a new alternator on the 318 in my 67 coronet wagon.i loosened the lower bolt that holds the adjuster bracket for the alt adjustment.
it started dripping coolant and when i tightened it back up it still drips.i removed the 4.5 in 3/8 bolt and coolant came pouring out the hole.
we plugged it and put teflon tape on the threads and put the bolt back in.still leaks.we did this 3 times adding more tape till i have to tap it into the hole.
i bought a new bolt and put tape on the threads and its still dripping.
any ideas?

It’s not leaking from the bolt threads, there are gaskets where the pump meets the timing cover, and also gaskets where the timing cover meets the block. One or both of those gaskets are leaking.

might as well replace the timing chain while the timing cover is off.

but all i did was loosten the bolt to spin the bracket out of the way.
can i drin it,clean and retap the threads fill the hole with gasket sealer and reinstall?

drain your coolant till theres no drip pull out that bolt add rtv lots on the threads,let it dry 1 day. done.

R413 gives you an idea on what to inspect as it might not be from the bolt; but from the gasket. Hope not, but water leaks can be hard to nail down exactly where they're coming from. Check the gasketed area around the bolt. Once a gasket is disturbed or possibly re-crushed or split from retorquing there's one way to repair it right, or get lucky using sealers.

Auto Transport Service
Back