• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a good stop leak what do you use

pedal2themetal

Local time
12:39 AM
Reaction score
HI All,
I have a coolant leak where the water pump bolts to the block. I've removed it and cleaned it good I thought but it is still leaking (seeping ). What can I use to stop this leak?? I've tried tightening the bolt but don't want to go any tighter, don't want to break it..

thanks take care be safe
tim

HI All,
I have a coolant leak where the water pump bolts to the block. I've removed it and cleaned it good I thought but it is still leaking (seeping ). What can I use to stop this leak?? I've tried tightening the bolt but don't want to go any tighter, don't want to break it..

thanks take care be safe
tim
Don't use stop leak. Drain the coolant and use silicone or Teflon sealant on the bolt. The bolts screw into a coolant passage just like the exhaust bolts.

Must be a smallblock..
Yes use the pipe thread sealant from loctite or permatex, that's what it's for.

HI,
The leak is at the block not the bolt head.

thanks take care be safe
tim

If its leaking at the timing cover to block area you need to pull the cover.

To answer the original question I've had good luck with K-Seal. O'Reillys' sells it, probably lots of other places too.

what engine are we talking about.

HI,
Thanks pnora.. it is at the timing chain cover.. didn't think of that. DUH

good luck take care be safe
tim

There’s no such thing as “stop leak”, despite what the shysters who market such concoctions will tell you. Fix it by replacing the gasket and checking surfaces for true.

HI,
Thanks pnora.. it is at the timing chain cover.. didn't think of that. DUH

good luck take care be safe
tim
Tim you really should reseal that cover. Gasket that bad might start leaking coolant into the oil. Might replace the timing chain and water pump while you have it apart

A reputable speed shop that rebuilt my motor on one of my rides, paying the shop a TON for the ‘quality’ work, put in what looked to be a TON of some stop-leak ****. Opening up the rad cap it looked like a septic tank. This was a particular bone of contention or irritation since I have done rebuilds after shops had done the machining for me and a few old school car friends building engines NEVER used the stuff. Shop said they use it all the time and said his own cherry hundred grand + ride has it. I had some overheating ills and doing a pressure test, out pops one of the water pump bolts an inch from the fan flooding out coolant.

Couple other things obviously done on the friggin CHEAP despite 160% over the initial quote. Flushed and repeated the flushing of block and radiator to get that **** gone. I know why they used it, but he thinks I’m the asshole for bitching about it. I’ll never consider going back to his shop despite his wonderful reputation.

I once had a leak between the block and the timing case on the 318 in my 5th Ave. We were leaving for a trip, and I did not have time to screw around with it, so I dumped some Bardahl Stop Leak in it. As the engine ran, I watched the leak slow down and eventually stop. We had this car for a couple of more years, and it never leaked again. I sold the car to a friend who was building a rat rod, and he used the power train in it, and drove it everywhere for a few more years.

What ever is leaking, in my experience stop leaks are not going to fix anything permanently.

I used to use ginger, yeah, from your wife spice cabinet. Works well. If you change your coolant, you'll have too dose it again. Start with a teaspoon, add more if needed.

I used to use ginger, yeah, from your wife spice cabinet. Works well. If you change your coolant, you'll have too dose it again. Start with a teaspoon, add more if needed.
Ground black pepper is actually better. A local trucking company has a large bag in every truck for emergencies.
Also, in an emergency you can use a raw egg.

I've used this a couple of times, it worked well and showed no bad effects later. Once was on a GM 3.4 v6 that would have meant stripping everything down to the timing chain cover and once was a neon head gasket. The fix seemed permanent.
1694587306267.png

To answer the original question I've had good luck with K-Seal. O'Reillys' sells it, probably lots of other places too.
An old time operator of a Cat D8 bulldozers with a cable operated blade ....swore by using several cans of course and fine grind black pepper dumped into the radiator fixes the problem......better than Barrs Stop Leak......
BOB RENTON

I have stopped head gasket leaks on tractors with Bardahl’s stop- leak. Sometimes old tractor head and block surfaces are hard to seal.

Auto Transport Service
Back