• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help evaluating a roller for potential purchase

Richard Davis

Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Coronet roller in another State. The seller is reputable but the pictures are a little sketchy. There is no fender tag so I'm trying to read the VIN tag. There are pictures of the VIN and K member. I'm trying to figure out the original engine and to see if the VIN is a "C" or "G" and if the K member is for a big block.

RByn9g3

j8vSxdr

WBRjhF7

Last edited:
Well it's not a 6 cylinder K & it's not a Hemi K so any normal V8 should bolt to it... Originally a 318, it won't have a skid plate but who cares? easy to add one...

Well it's not a 6 cylinder K & it's not a Hemi K so any normal V8 should bolt to it... Originally a 318, it won't have a skid plate but who cares? easy to add one...
Thanks.
I thought the code for 318 was F. A G would make it a 383 - 2b. That answers my question.

What year? I'm pre-programmed to 70 where G=318 but in 69 G=383

It looks like a "C". But, looking at it again, it's a "G" However, the first two letters are WP; so that would be a Coronet 500. If it'a a "G", then what came in the car was a 383 2bbl. What rear axle is under it?

A slant six Coronet 500 convertible would sure be an oddball.

A 383-2 is WAY more likely.

It looks like a "C". But, looking at it again, it's a "G" However, the first two letters are WP; so that would be a Coronet 500. If it'a a "G", then what came in the car was a 383 2bbl. What rear axle is under it?
I haven't seen a picture of that yet. It is also a convertible. I've been looking for my first car, that my Dad bought new. It was a 383 - 4B, so this one isn't it. Now starts the task of figuring out how much, and when, I will be upside down if I decide to purchase and restore.

I'm curious what gave that away. It has a 4-speed transmission hump bugger welded in. I was trying to figure out if that was part of a repair. The rest of the floors look original.

The bracket welded to the L frame rail for the clutch bell crank..

And the 27 means convertible in case you weren't aware..

I'm curious what gave that away. It has a 4-speed transmission hump bugger welded in. I was trying to figure out if that was part of a repair. The rest of the floors look original.

The clutch pivot bracket is visible on the drivers frame rail. So either its a manual trans car or was converted over the years. Pretty rare if an original 500 4-speed vert.

Could have been a factory 3 speed manual trans as well?

Could have been a factory 3 speed manual trans as well?
Yes, and if it was a /6 - that would be one crazy combination in a 500 vert. I'm going to try and look at the car in a few weeks. I probably wouldn't restore it that way but I would be interested in what ever clues might indicate it might be an original 3 speed. I will check the rear end and brakes.

Yes, and if it was a /6 - that would be one crazy combination in a 500 vert. I'm going to try and look at the car in a few weeks. I probably wouldn't restore it that way but I would be interested in what ever clues might indicate it might be an original 3 speed. I will check the rear end and brakes.
Well, if it was a 3 speed on the floor, that makes it easy peasy to turn it into a 4-speed.

Well, if it was a 3 speed on the floor, that makes it easy peasy to turn it into a 4-speed.

If it started life with a three speed it would be column shift.... AKA Three on the tree...

Auto Transport Service
Back