• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP!! i can't find the brake drums for 66 belv. 4door!!!

hanstaill

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
hi guys! i shold have researched abit before walking into NAPA and just asking for rear brakes for my belvedere 4 door.... when i went to switch them out, drums are wider and the shoes are wider also... but they are saying it's the correct pair. not at all.

can someone please help me where i can get a new pair of rear drums and shoes?
pads are 10" diam. and looks to be 1" 3/4 wide,

i've attached a photo of my current one below, 50 years and original!!

vbpgimage.php

brake shoe size,,
vbpgimage.php

inside of drum,
vbpgimage.php

this is what i got from NAPA...
vbpgimage.php

do they still make them this size? or do i have to find them used?! theres gata be a place where i can order right?! or can i ask for drums off of different year/ model car that fits stock size?

i'd like to keep the drums way they are currently, i'm not planning(hoping) to convert or swap

i am a new guy to plymouth, i got a lot to learn and never thought locating brakes would be this though...

I had a similar problem finding front drums for my "72 satellite. All the literature showed an 11" but had 10" drums on the car. I ended up getting a drum for a "72 cuda that had the same measurements as the one I needed. The only difference being that my original was finned and the replacement wasn't. Installed it and it works great. I did a quick search at rockauto and found a drum with the dimensions that you need listed for a "66 Valliant. Hope that helps.

Looks like the hub depth is the same between the new one you bought and the old. Obviously the shoe's need to be pitched into the garbage, so why not upgrade to the more standardized wider shoe and drum? More braking force and easier to find parts..... Good luck which ever route you go.

BTW....The technical width of your old drum is 10" x 2". A lot of car's run 10" x 2 1/2" rear drums.

Thats a very hard to find drum it has the 1 3/4 A-Body width brake lining and uses the same style drum as an A-Body small bolt pattern 10" brakes but is large bolt pattern. I had some and will check to see if i still have them. The wider 10 in drum and shoes will probably not work with those backing plates as the off set will be different

Last edited:
The wider 10 in drum and shoes will probably not work with those backing plates as the off set will be different

Man..that's silly. You'd think being 10" they'd have the same backing plates and axle seat depth. Goes to show, just when a guy think's something should be easy, there's always a wrench thrown in the mix.

My 66 2dr sedan had 1 1/2" shoes on the back!! Was planning on sticking in an 8 3/4 later on but that prompted me to do it sooner after looking around and not finding new drums. I did find shoes so I ended up machining the drums .100" myself and they still didn't totally clean up. Yeah, machining that much isn't supposed to be safe but they did fine until the 8 3/4 went in.

hi guys thanks for the info.....i neveer thought it was this rare!!

i did find something on the web, can someone confirm that this will work even though the year applicable isn't 66?

brake shoes
http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/b-body-belvedere/parts/cb2061.html

drum

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/b-body-belvedere/parts/2947.html

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/b-body-belvedere/parts/2915.html

not sure about those drums, doesn't say the width but says it's for 66 belvedere- but then napa said that too..

Very RARE in 8 cyls. --- most 6 cyl. "B" bodies got the 10" x 1 3/4" "B" Body package....
The brake DRUMS are NOT the same as "A" body -- as the bolt pattern is , indeed, different
("A" is 4", "B" is 4 1/2" -- and the heights are different -- CAN NOT be modified)
I have some ++ NEW ++ N.O.S. "B" Body Brake Drums (Obsolete by all "regular channels")
and some N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes (Such that you don't "rip up to smithereens"
the Brake Drums)............

hI, Im not sure what you mean by NEW ++ N.O.S. "B" Body Brake Drums (Obsolete by all "regular channels")
and some N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes,

are you saying you have a pair for sale of drums and pads?? can you msg me if you do please?

THank you

I had a similar problem finding front drums for my "72 satellite. All the literature showed an 11" but had 10" drums on the car. I ended up getting a drum for a "72 cuda that had the same measurements as the one I needed. The only difference being that my original was finned and the replacement wasn't. Installed it and it works great. I did a quick search at rockauto and found a drum with the dimensions that you need listed for a "66 Valliant. Hope that helps.

Hi!

is this the one you've found on rockauto?
BENDIX Part # PDR0174 More Info {#2534750, 2534751, 2534752, 3004730, 3004731, 3549836, 3549837, 3580534} Premium Brake Drum
Front; Drum / drum brakes 10" x 1-3/4"

Is the 1 3/4" shoes the norm? I was sure surprised to see 1 1/2" shoes on mine after expecting to see at least 2" shoes on an A/C car.

Yes, that is the one. Sorry, I didn't check the bolt pattern though. That drum will not work for you.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the width of the drum, bolt pattern, lug and hub hole diameters? I'll see if I can help.

Yes, that is the one. Sorry, I didn't check the bolt pattern though. That drum will not work for you.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the width of the drum, bolt pattern, lug and hub hole diameters? I'll see if I can help.

from what i can say...it's 10 in drum, bolt spacing is 4.5" and center hub hole is approx/close? to 3 inches- sorry for the last vagueness but it's hard to measure with rust turning to dust everytime i touch it haha

Hanstail -- I PM'ed you -- but somehow, got sent here -- and you asked here about what I meant by "regular channels" -- that is essentially -- the internet, auto parts stores, etc., etc. -- and since they have as sources simply the main stream suppliers that they can order from -- these drums were NEVER made by these companies that exist today -- and the only people who CAN HAVE THEM is those of us that have canvassed bottom shelves, back rooms, attics, basements, etc. and have "N.O.S. -- NEW OLD STOCK -- OLD OBSOLETE STOCK that is still brand new" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a drum for a ( please forgive me for saying this on here) Ford. CENTRIC Part # 12361002, about 25 or 30 bucks. I believe that I would get one and see if it could work, if that was my car. The bolt pattern is the same but the hub hole may be smaller. A good machine shop could probably modify that. As stated above, the drum you are looking for is rare for a "B" body. Sometimes you have to think outside the box with these old rides. Please keep us posted. Someone else may run into this problem in the future.

It will for sure have a smaller hub hole if it's for a Ford.

What rear do you have in the car....a 7 1/4? That's what mine had until I pulled it and use if for land fill....

i still was not able to fine one....anyone know where i can look for 10x2 drums for the rear of my belvedere?? i might have to buy used and re surface them- please HELP@@!!

IIRC (don't hold me to it,) my '69 Dart Custom with the 8-3/4 axle and the disc brake option used 10X2" rear drums. It might be another place to look.

Auto Transport Service
Back