• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help in rebuilding 1970 charger six pac motor

Aussieguysyd

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
Hello all

I would like some advice in relation to engine parts that I need to build a 440 six pac engine for my 70 rt/se charger . I want to build the engine to factory specs ( Blue print), my charger isn't a factory six pac but I was able to obtain a set up with the manifold
built date in 1970. My car when I imported it into Australia did not have the original engine block but had a warranty block dated 69 with the pad being clean. Its a R/T S/E with a 18spline centre console so I was stoked with this .I also have a close matching numbers 906 heads that I wish to use.

Just wanting to know if the six pac set up engines had different parts other than what a 440 R/T had ?.
Etc Rods , balancer , lifters ,Cam .

Much appreciate your advice.

Hello all

I would like some advice in relation to engine parts that I need to build a 440 six pac engine for my 70 rt/se charger . I want to build the engine to factory specs ( Blue print), my charger isn't a factory six pac but I was able to obtain a set up with the manifold
built date in 1970. My car when I imported it into Australia did not have the original engine block but had a warranty block dated 69 with the pad being clean. Its a R/T S/E with a 18spline centre console so I was stoked with this .I also have a close matching numbers 906 heads that I wish to use.

Just wanting to know if the six pac set up engines had different parts other than what a 440 R/T had ?.
Etc Rods , balancer , lifters ,Cam .Pistons

Much appreciate your advice.

The 1970 six pack motors use the "big" connecting rods and a special harmonic balancer & weights on the flywheel or torque converter. There's "supposed" to be some other six pack differences, but not visible at all, nor do they add performance. It's "basically" a high performance (aka big rod) 1970 440 4 barrel motor with a six pack on it.

FYI - the "special" parts are not worth the time, money or performance in my opinion unless your car is an original six pack car

The 1970 six pack motors use the "big" connecting rods and a special harmonic balancer & weights on the flywheel or torque converter. There's "supposed" to be some other six pack differences, but not visible at all, nor do they add performance. It's "basically" a high performance (aka big rod) 1970 440 4 barrel motor with a six pack on it.

FYI - the "special" parts are not worth the time, money or performance in my opinion unless your car is an original six pack car
And,
The 6-Pak rods are "heavy"

No benefit of the 6 pac rods. Though the balancer will look slightly different. Definately use a better modern cam.
Doug

Agree with above comments.

How original does it need to be from the outside? Or inside? Using lighter 4 bbl rods requires a different harmonic dampener, which might be noticed by a Mopar expert. A hotter cam might have some lope to it, which will indicate 'non-standard'.
The original 6 pack cam was 3 bolt mounting, reqd special low taper lifters, no longer available.
The 375hp/4bbl cam has the same specs, uses std lifters & single bolt mounting.

Agree with above, go for neutral balance LY rod motor. 6 pack cork manifold will work on any bottom end.

As mentioned above. The stock LY rods are fine and with an aftermarket set of lightweight pistons and balanced assembly will be a better combo then the heavier 6 pack rods. That is what I run in my 6 pack car.

Just wanting to know if the six pac set up engines had different parts other than what a 440 R/T had ?

Around 30 bucks ...............
1672424497740.png

Auto Transport Service
Back