• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Me Order The Correct Pushrods...

Another note to double check and maybe you already know this but the bars that the rockers slide onto. Make sure the oiling holes are point DOWN and OUT(away from intake), if these are not correct you wont get oil to those rockers.

Just thinking out loud.

Already done! And cut for more oil!
20170410_192519.jpg

I had to pretty much take a carbite bit and DIG the channels out. Wasnt very happy about that.

So far the 5/16" Smith Brothers have had zero issues. I'm also running a Hydralic cam so I had preload blah blah into my setup. Every 1/4 turn on these = .010 of preload/movement if you ever wondered. So like 1/8" turn should get your lash just about right.

The stock valve springs on the other hand.... If you are running Stealths please please please change those springs/lock/retainers out before you run the engine.

The springs and locks are Hughes pieces, springs are spec'd for the cam.

I found these on Flea Bay and hadn't seen any since. (You did see IQ52's response to my pushrods? 5/16" on both ends.) I couldn't remember.
20160423_093248-1.jpg

Having fun yet! :D

Hi all, I finally got my headgaskets so the heads are torqued down and I got around to measuring for my pushrods. But before I order, I need some clarification on what I need.

440 motor, Hughes EDM solid lifters, solid lifter cam with .558" lift at 238/242. I am using Crane ductile rocker arms. I set everything up on the base circle and spun it a few times to make sure it repeated. There is one thread showing under the rocker arm on the ball stud. I adjusted my cold lash on the intake at .006" as per the cam card.

O.A.L. (tip of ball to top of cup) is 9.156" or roughly 9 5/32". Stock solid lifter pushrods are 9.25"

My question concerns the ball and cup sizes. The ball on the rocker arm is .310", the cup on the lifter is .375". Is this standard? My adjustable pushrod was set up with large ball / smaller cup.

Also, what size pushrod do I need...3/8" or 5/16"?
View attachment 412577 View attachment 412578 View attachment 412581 View attachment 412582

5/16 rods are fine for your application. If your going 3/8 be sure they don't rub on the heads where they pass through the rod openings. I like 2 1/2 threads showing under the rockers so the cups don't contact the underside of the rocker arms when they're pushed fully up. No oil holes required through the rods and don't bitch with the measuring tool. If you have to grind it, it's the wrong rod. Rocker rods are measured in thousands of an inch, what does your grinder measure in? You need to measure on at least three base circles at different points for both exhaust and intake valves using the timing marks on the front ballancer and allowing for any advance or retard built into the timing gear mounting holes of the cam gear. Measurement is from the bottom of the cup to the top of the ball.

http://trendperform.com/p-30015-measuring.html

Last edited:
I found these on Flea Bay and hadn't seen any since. (You did see IQ52's response to my pushrods? 5/16" on both ends.) I couldn't remember.
View attachment 412701
Having fun yet! :D

Nope! Lol.
I did see his post, but I will wait to order tomorrow so I can double check everything with a fresh mind. Those made in china shafts go great with stealth heads! Summit carries the shafts too but none could be confirmed to be hardened, even the Mopar brand. The Mancinis were $100 for the pair.

Pushrods are ordered, thanks for all the help!!! Smith Brothers was a help as well, walked me through and got me what I needed for my setup.

9.031" oal
5/16" tube
.083" wall
5/16" cup / 5/16" ball
No oil hole
Straight wall.

Auto Transport Service
Back