• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on 4 speed trans

Canadian1968CoronetR/T

Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
Going to Carlisle in a month, i need some help incase I see some good deals on some 4 speed parts. Such as what numbers on a bell housing do I look for, I have a 18 spline trans to go in, are there different z bars I need to look for, pedals do they all fit or only certain ones.
Any info you guys have would be appreciated, also if you have any price ranges I should be looking at would help because last year I missed out on some good deals because I was not sure what to pay for these rusty old parts.
Thanks Bryan

I would try and find a parts car that had the set up.... you will pay more at a show and not get everything you will need... something that's close to your year and motor.... preferably with the motor and trans in the car... look for a field find something with a ton of rust and woodland creachers living in it ..... the pedals and every thing to include the under dash brackets.... swap meet will supply you leftover junk from projects that used the good stuff you don't really want... go and look no harm.... a 6cylinder 3on the tree would be a good start and a pickup with a 833 4speed from the 70's- 80's would be the most economic way.... the perfect one are all been picked over and the field bomber doesn't have 1000 people all looking at it...

I found my 4 speed donor car (a supremely rusted 67 Coronet wagon of all things) on Craigslist...lots of checking constantly for what I was looking for, but I eventually lucked out big time.

Often posting a "want to buy" ad will get a response. There are people who have stuff to sell, but cannot muster the energy, expertise, or gumption to post on Craigslist...might be worth a try?

Auto Transport Service
Back