• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'65 B body 4 speed help...

Krooser

Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
Ok...

I recently bought a '65 Coronet 500 project minus engine and transmission.

I am going to convert it to a small block 4 speed. Originally a 273 Torqueflite.

The engine will be a $100 318 until I can get my 340 together.

I have an early A body bellhousing. I am looking for an 833 4 speed... I have an OD trans available but would have to bore out the bell to fit the large front bearing...not difficult.

What do I need for clutch linkage, z-bar etc to make this work.

I may have to call Brewers but I thought I would ask here first.

I have a 23 spline 833 extra that came from a 383 car. Not sure if there were any differences for small block,I’ve never worked with one,
pm me if interested

I have a 23 spline 833 extra that came from a 383 car. Not sure if there were any differences for small block,I’ve never worked with one,
pm me if interested

The ‘64 - ‘67 B-body transmissions all used the smaller diameter bearing retainer. With that being said I stay away from using a ‘64 or ‘65 transmission because of the ball and trunion u-joint. If that transmission is between ‘66 and ‘67 it should fit as long as the OP is using an original ‘64-‘65 bell housing. I’d also have to check since a ‘68 and up B/E-body small block car may also use that same small retainer. I had a noisy ball and trunion in my car and pulled out the rusty gears and replaced the internals and the tailshaft housing with a set out of a ‘68.

Last edited:
Well I pulled the trigger on the 833/OD trans and got the aluminum bellhousing with it.

It has the b/e body shifter mounts. I got the shift rods with it but the seller didn't have the shifter but he is going to look for it.

Time to sell more stuff...

Well I pulled the trigger on the 833/OD trans and got the aluminum bellhousing with it.

It has the b/e body shifter mounts. I got the shift rods with it but the seller didn't have the shifter but he is going to look for it.

Time to sell more stuff...
It’s possible that it might out of a truck. Are both shifter locations drilled and tapped?

It’s possible that it might out of a truck. Are both shifter locations drilled and tapped?
Front mount is tapped... the bell looks like truck application. Should take a 130 tooth flywheel.

I also have an A body 273 cast iron bell for a 9 1/2" clutch and 122 tooth flywheel.

As luck would have it I sold two 4 speed OD trans and a bellhousing a few years ago when a B body project wasn't even a thought.

Last night I found the correct bucket seats for sale. A pair I can afford!!! In the correct color!!! I will take a three hour drive on Saturday to get those.

Last edited:

Came out of an F body from what the part number sez...just the front mount is tapped.

And I think I have the assorted clutch linkage nightmare figured out.

Last edited:
Don't forget this step, anytime you change engines.
ba1.JPG
ba.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back