• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP!! Vent Window Seal Problem. What am I doing wrong??

VitaMeVas

Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
The car is a 1968 Plymouth Satellite hardtop. Years ago (when I first bought the car) I bought some door seals, jamb seals, vent window rebuild seals, etc... I replaced the DS and everything fit nicely, except the area pictured below. It's the few inches where the seal dips upwards to allow the vent window to pivot. It seems like it's too large or I've somehow mounted the seal to tight/high?? Now that I'm driving the car more, the gap whistles and rain dribbles in. I never did the PS because I wasn't sure if maybe I had the wrong seal kit. I'm asking if anyone has had this issue and knows what I did wrong or knows if a certain brand of seal would fit better. Here's the seal kit that I bought from Classic Industries 4 years ago.

MB1288.png

Here's what the DS vent window gap looks like.

DS Vent 1.jpeg

And again the same view up close (there's adhesive still stuck from when I put a piece of gorilla tape there).

DS Vent 2.jpeg

And here's the PS that I haven't done for comparison.

PS Vent.jpeg

I did search Classic Industries for any other part numbers. I did find one by a different company (see below). The one I have is Precision Brand and the other is Metro Brand. I don't know if they're different at all.

MB192062.png

If anyone can help.... I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hard to tell but your glass might be to low. Try loosening it all up and reposition the vent glass. For what its worth they never sealed 100 percent from new. However your gap is very wide. Check some measurement from the other side for comparison.

Did you change the glass setting tape the glass sits in at the bottom of the channel ? Could the glass be too low in the frame . Hard to raise the bottom frame on the vent glass up unless you take the whole window frame out of the door and try to move the pin up that is attached to the bottom of the vent frame. Also, seals from Detroit Muscle Technologies are the best fit.

Did you change the glass setting tape the glass sits in at the bottom of the channel ? Could the glass be too low in the frame . Hard to raise the bottom frame on the vent glass up unless you take the whole window frame out of the door and try to move the pin up that is attached to the bottom of the vent frame. Also, seals from Detroit Muscle Technologies are the best fit.
I didn't change the setting tape. I did order a new set of vent window gaskets from Detroit Muscle Tech. I think the vent window was at the right position (not too low), but we'll see when I redo it. I also purchased some newer felt sliding pieces so the large window slides up and down easier. Wish me luck!!

If anyone else has any input..... I'm all ears.

I got the high priced ones from DMT. for my '72 Dart, I didn't like them and sent them back and put my old ones back in. Looks like you have no choice. What didn't I like, on the leading edge of weather strip, the orginal had slots for the trim nuts etc. The replacement, those slots are gone and just has a big gap, 3 of them if I remember correctly. Didn't think that glue would ever hold it up properly. Hope it works for you. Do not know if B body is the same. Maybe something is different in your favor!

My factory ones have the same problem.

I used some black gasket maker very small bead, and placed carefully with a light film of oil on the glass to keep it from sticking, until it dried. not OE, but seals it, and not very noticeable

Alright.... I think I got it figured out. The gap that I had was from using the Precision gaskets sold by Classic Industries (MB1288). In my 68 Plymouth Satellite, it left a gap.

DF0EDF40-1910-48B8-8A93-31DDD34483DF_1_201_a.jpeg

So I ordered from Detroit Technologies and got the Metro SuperSoft (WR 2308) set which works way better for me.

IMG_6047.jpeg

Here's a side by side comparison of the 2 brands. The Metro Supersoft is on the left (top) and the Precision is on the right (underneath). You have look close, but the difference is there. It's probably only 1-2 mm.
IMG_5996.jpeg

Lastly, here's the Metro Supersoft installed. It sits just flush with the vent window glass.
IMG_6046.jpeg

No air whistling .... no water leaks .... no drafts. Hope this helps someone down the road. Best of luck to all!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back