• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP: What is CORRECT speedometer cable for 1971 Charger (B Body) with Auto Trans?

PGio

Local time
5:33 AM
Reaction score
Hey Folks. OK - need first hand experience here, not just opinions. What works and what doesn't work please.
If you have bought a speedometer cable for your 71 B-Body 727 car that works right, or doesn't - please weigh in with your comments and advice.

1) What is the CORRECT LENGTH of the speedometer cable for a 1971 Dodge Charger with 727 auto trans?
2) Who makes the best one?

**As of now (Nov 29, 2023), it seems Year One and others are offering cables that are 67" in length for about $45 - $55. They say theirs is correct.
OER makes the cable at 62" in length and says theirs is correct. It is sold by many outlets such as Summit, Classic Industries, Jegs, etc. Prices range from $48 - $65.
They both can't be right! :BangHead:
SO- who has bought either or both of these cables?? Tell us please if they fit and work properly or not.

BTW - I believe the original Chrysler P/N according to the parts catalog was 2889783, superseded by 3592212, then by 3592360 with the current superseded P/N of 4897646AA - and most of the places advertising reproduction/replacement speedo cables say theirs is the correct replacement part for those original part numbers. They are no longer available through Chrysler, Direct Connection or Mopar Performance.

IS-663, $94.00....Speedometer Cable & Housing - 63" - MOST models. Replaces Chrysler Original Part 2889 783 - This is a correct direct replacement cable with the correct ends and same length as original. The casing is black. Does not fit cars equipped with cruise control and DOES include the grommet..... Same cable as factory #TM-97646AA Chrysler original part # 2889-783

IN STOCK and ready to ship

1701278971428.png

IS-663, $94.00....Speedometer Cable & Housing - 63" - MOST models. Replaces Chrysler Original Part 2889 783 - This is a correct direct replacement cable with the correct ends and same length as original. The casing is black. Does not fit cars equipped with cruise control and DOES include the grommet..... Same cable as factory #TM-97646AA Chrysler original part # 2889-783

IN STOCK and ready to ship

View attachment 1565650
Didn't know Layson's was still kicking..

Thanks Rick.
Is the one you have made by OER?
They are listed everywhere for about $45 - $60. Also in stock.
If yours is not by OER, what is the difference between theirs and yours for the extra $35 - $50?
I am not being sarcastic, I want to know so I make the right decision.
Thanks.

Our speedo cables are NOT made by OER. We have them made exclusively for us here at Layson's, in the USA, and we patterned them off of original NOS Chrysler cables....so we know they are correct.

These are NOT "off-shore" cables.

Auto Transport Service
Back