• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with decoding NHRA roll bar rules

2quick

Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
I will be running Drag week in September with my 66 Satellite. I have a roll bar that has allowed me to run to 10.00, that no track official has ever had a problem with. What I'm concerned about is I don't use "D" Bars as I often have my kids in the back seat going to car shows and such. I nervous i'm going to get there and not pass tech. Does anyone know if a 10.0 - up car with stock fire wall and floor pans needs "D" Bars to be compliant? I do not see a reference to these "D" bars in the roll bar illustration. But do on the Roll cage illustration. This is the line of text from the roll bar criteria that concerns me.

Roll bar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse.

1691083503823.png

4:10 ROLL BAR All roll bars must be within 6 inches of the rear, or side, of the driver’s head, extend in height at least 3 inches above the driver’s helmet with driver in normal driving position or be within 1 inch of the roof/headliner in the area above the driver’s helmet, and be at least as wide as the driver’s shoulders or within 1 inch of the driver’s door. Roll bar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5 inches from the top of the roll bar. Crossbar and rear braces must be welded to main hoop. Sidebar must be included on driver’s side and must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow. Swing-out sidebar permitted. All roll bars must have in their construction a cross bar for seat bracing and as the shoulder harness attachment point; cross bar must be installed no more than 4 inches below, and not above, the driver’s shoulders or to side bar. All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar welded or bolted to frame; installation of frame connectors on unibody cars does not constitute a frame; therefore it is not necessary to have the roll bar attached to the frame. Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheeltubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch bolts and nuts, or weld main hoop to rocker sill area with .125-inch reinforcing plates, with plates welded completely. Also, the roll bar may be welded to frame connectors that are fully welded in place and are 1 5/8 inches x .118-inch MS or .083-inch CM round and/or 2 inch x 2 inch x .058 MS or CM rectangular. All 4130 chromoly or Docol R8 tube welding must be done by approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel welding must be done by approved MIG wire feed or approved TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited. See illustration. Roll bar must be padded anywhere driver’s helmet may contact it while in driving position. Adequate padding must have minimum 1/4-inch compression or meet SFI Spec 45.1. All cars running 9.99 (*6.39) or quicker, SFI Spec 45.1 mandatory.

1691083605213.png

NHRA rule book states this for roll cage!
“D” bar installation for full-bodied cars: For front-wheel-drive cars, with complete OEM floor (from the firewall to the rear of the trunk) and rocker/sill boxes, the 1 1/4-inch x .058-inch CM (.118-inch MS) “D” bars (when required; i.e., when the main hoop is not welded to the frame) must be welded to a 1 5/8inch x .083-inch CM (.118-inch MS) crossmember welded to the rocker/sill box via conventional 6-inch x 6-inch x 1/8-inchthick plates or welded to main hoop. For rear-wheel-drive cars, with neither a frame nor subframe connectors, but with complete OEM floor (from the firewall to the rear of the trunk; exception: the rear inner wheelwells may be tubbed with steel or aluminum), the 1 1/4-inch x .058-inch CM (or .118-inch MS) “D” bars may be welded to conventional 6-inch x 6-inch x 1/8-inch formfitted/contoured plates attached to the driveshaft tunnel. Otherwise, the “D” bars must be attached to frame, subframe, or subframe connectors.

Pretty sure the reference is to the cross bar in the hoop.
I've never heard of those D bars even come close to being a possible discussion on a roll bar.

I will be running Drag week in September with my 66 Satellite. I have a roll bar that has allowed me to run to 10.00, that no track official has ever had a problem with. What I'm concerned about is I don't use "D" Bars as I often have my kids in the back seat going to car shows and such. I nervous i'm going to get there and not pass tech. Does anyone know if a 10.0 - up car with stock fire wall and floor pans needs "D" Bars to be compliant? I do not see a reference to these "D" bars in the roll bar illustration. But do on the Roll cage illustration. This is the line of text from the roll bar criteria that concerns me.

Roll bar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse.

View attachment 1504129

4:10 ROLL BAR All roll bars must be within 6 inches of the rear, or side, of the driver’s head, extend in height at least 3 inches above the driver’s helmet with driver in normal driving position or be within 1 inch of the roof/headliner in the area above the driver’s helmet, and be at least as wide as the driver’s shoulders or within 1 inch of the driver’s door. Roll bar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5 inches from the top of the roll bar. Crossbar and rear braces must be welded to main hoop. Sidebar must be included on driver’s side and must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow. Swing-out sidebar permitted. All roll bars must have in their construction a cross bar for seat bracing and as the shoulder harness attachment point; cross bar must be installed no more than 4 inches below, and not above, the driver’s shoulders or to side bar. All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar welded or bolted to frame; installation of frame connectors on unibody cars does not constitute a frame; therefore it is not necessary to have the roll bar attached to the frame. Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheeltubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch bolts and nuts, or weld main hoop to rocker sill area with .125-inch reinforcing plates, with plates welded completely. Also, the roll bar may be welded to frame connectors that are fully welded in place and are 1 5/8 inches x .118-inch MS or .083-inch CM round and/or 2 inch x 2 inch x .058 MS or CM rectangular. All 4130 chromoly or Docol R8 tube welding must be done by approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel welding must be done by approved MIG wire feed or approved TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited. See illustration. Roll bar must be padded anywhere driver’s helmet may contact it while in driving position. Adequate padding must have minimum 1/4-inch compression or meet SFI Spec 45.1. All cars running 9.99 (*6.39) or quicker, SFI Spec 45.1 mandatory.

View attachment 1504130

“D” bar installation for full-bodied cars: For front-wheel-drive cars, with complete OEM floor (from the firewall to the rear of the trunk) and rocker/sill boxes, the 1 1/4-inch x .058-inch CM (.118-inch MS) “D” bars (when required; i.e., when the main hoop is not welded to the frame) must be welded to a 1 5/8inch x .083-inch CM (.118-inch MS) crossmember welded to the rocker/sill box via conventional 6-inch x 6-inch x 1/8-inchthick plates or welded to main hoop. For rear-wheel-drive cars, with neither a frame nor subframe connectors, but with complete OEM floor (from the firewall to the rear of the trunk; exception: the rear inner wheelwells may be tubbed with steel or aluminum), the 1 1/4-inch x .058-inch CM (or .118-inch MS) “D” bars may be welded to conventional 6-inch x 6-inch x 1/8-inch formfitted/contoured plates attached to the driveshaft tunnel. Otherwise, the “D” bars must be attached to frame, subframe, or subframe connectors.
Difference between a roll bar and a roll cage. I was running 10.0 with a bolt in roll bar. The kicker bars as those are called sometimes, isn't a mandatory thing. Tge illustration shows what is required the other illustration is of a roll cage. Big difference. You're pickimg fly crap out of pepper, but I get it, don't want any surprises. I've raced nhra since I was 18, so 48 years. Wow, seems like a long time when I say it out loud.

Oh, some things you need to check. Make sure your 5 point belts have not expired. They last for 2 years and are required for 10.99 and faster in a pre 2005 vehicle. I mentioned helmet as well, verify it is shnell rated and has not expired. Catch can for trans and radiator that are vented. All I can think of.

Ballistic fabrication makes a connector that lets you put the d bar in or out as needed. Have one in mine and tech has never even asked about it.

Are not belts and Rollbar required in the book for any car older than
2008 and not stock if they are 11.49 or quicker and not 10.99?

That is how I read the book.

I have a roll bar just no angle braces to trans tunnel

592C3801-7A1A-4561-A68D-45253B623B32.jpeg

Are not belts and Rollbar required in the book for any car older than
2008 and not stock if they are 11.49 or quicker and not 10.99?

That is how I read the book.
I ran stock belts to 11.00

I do not believe that is what the NHRA rule book allows
other that the above new and stock car exceptions.

I do not believe that this is an example of an acceptable roll bar
in any car faster than 11.50 and required to run one.
They don't require certification. I had them on one car and not on the other and ran both all around the country at nhra tracks. Not arguing, stating my experience.

No one is stating that any Roll cage has to be certified until you run
in the 9's

But all cars still have to pass a tech inspection to race and that bar would not pass
if the tech inspector had every looked at the NHRA Rulebook.

Just trying to help you stay out of trouble!
I thought you were looking for opinions and feedback?

I have raced AND work teched for around 60 years now = all
over the country and indeed I still do today.

Google: John Irving Drag Racer

I AM OUT OF THIS THREAD!

Last edited:
No one is stating that any Roll cage has to be certified until you run
in the 9's

But all cars still have to pass a tech inspection to race and that bar would not pass
if the tech inspector had every looked at the NHRA Rulebook.

Just trying to help you stay out of trouble!
I thought you were looking for opinions and feedback?

I have raced AND work teched for around 60 years now = all
over the country and indeed I still do today.

Google: John Irving Drag Racer

I AM OUT OF THIS THREAD!
John, this picture is from the nhra rulebook, the kicker bars are not required. Just a 6 point roll bar. Or are we talkimg about 2 different thimgs here?
Screenshot_20230803_230955_Samsung Internet.jpg

In the picture it is not the kicker bars that I am questioning as
of course, they are not required BUT I Do not see any back bars
at all behind the main loop( going behind the main loop). Without some
support behind the main loop the roll bar would fail right over in my opinion.

This appears in the picture to me to be a loop hanging suspended in midair with just a pair
of very short feet on the bottom to keep it upright. Zero back brace at all!

Last edited:
John, this picture is from the nhra rulebook, the kicker bars are not required. Just a 6 point roll bar. Or are we talkimg about 2 different thimgs here?View attachment 1504330
Agreed. I dont think the 8 point kicker bars are required. But the rear bars to the trunk certainly are!
John is just pointing out that without rear bars, that bar won't pass tech, and certainly not for 10 flat.
Hopefully, they are there, and we can't see em.

Possibly in the very upper left beside the speaker it looks like a corner of the bar going into the package tray.
Let's not get hasty. Who would build a bar without the rearward braces.

At first I thought John was talking about no seat back support, which isn't required with a stock seat.

Oh, some things you need to check. Make sure your 5 point belts have not expired. They last for 2 years and are required for 10.99 and faster in a pre 2005 vehicle. I mentioned helmet as well, verify it is shnell rated and has not expired. Catch can for trans and radiator that are vented. All I can think of.
Belts are good till end off year, Catch can is there, Helmet is good.

View attachment 1504129

View attachment 1504130

I put the D bars in all the cages and bars that I build. It really comes down to how will that roll bar or cage perform when it is asked to do so. The D bars will help keep the bar from folding over in a crash. I get the hassle of a tech inspection. But it is also nice when you get a cage certified and the inspector tells you it is better than it had to be, and you have confidence of passing tech at any track you go to. I have raced a lot of smaller tracks and tech inspection was a joke. And again, I thank God none of the cages I have built for myself or somebody else has never been asked to keep somebody safe.

Easiest way is to email your NHRA division tech director. Get it right from the horses mouth with documentation.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back