• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Electrical. Im at the car now.

1carlover

Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
I've posted many threads about this same problem but still a problem. My 67 rt dash lights work then don't work. This is just dash lights. Just removed the dash and with headlights on there is power to the orange wire at the wheel plug. When turning rheostat power goes out. If dash was plugged in it blows the fuse. So what could be causing the short ??

I'll assume everything else is working OK ?
Most wiring issues are due to a bad ground, but the rheostats themselves are often the culprit; especially the thumbwheel type '68-up.
Pull the switch and look for corrosion on the rheostat. Should be able to test for output to the cluster lamps with some fiddling.

I'll assume everything else is working OK ?
Most wiring issues are due to a bad ground, but the rheostats themselves are often the culprit; especially the thumbwheel type '68-up.
Pull the switch and look for corrosion on the rheostat. Should be able to test for output to the cluster lamps with some fiddling.
There wasn't any corrosion present in either new switch. There's power on both sides of the instrument fuse until rheostat is turned up.

Does the fuse filament blow, or does it overheat the end of the fuse.........

At this point you are going to have to eliminate things one by one. And no assuming allowed.
Unplug anything with an orange wire, try the rheostat, repeat. That would be radio, console illumination, etc. Even the 'new' dash circuit board. If nothing changes the problem may lie in the dash harness itself. At some point an orange wire is grounding. Didn't you mention LEDs? Unplugging the dash c-board should should remove them from the circuit (for testing on the car)

Auto Transport Service
Back