• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with mystery wire

joeb73

Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone 1969 Plymouth GTX 440 4 speed, i have been trying to figure out some issues with the odd random problems. can someone please help me figure out where this wire is suppost to hook to. the wire with red arrow was laying up against the wire with the green arrow.

mystery wire (2).jpg

The wire with the read arrow looks like the return from the transmissions reverse switch.
I think the wire with the green arrow supplies the power to the reverse switch.
The Blackwire in the cavity next to where the green arrow goes goes to the rear reverse lights.
The connector hanging out should go to the "Z" terminal in the lower block (forward harness), and I think that connects to the dash mount reverse light (manual transmission only.)

presently the reverse light works normally. do you know if there is a location that the red arrow wire is suppost to be be plugged into or is there a missing terminal plug?

presently the reverse light works normally. do you know if there is a location that the red arrow wire is suppost to be be plugged into or is there a missing terminal plug?
Reverse lights or under dash light? I believe that they are separate. If memory survives isn't it snapped in the Wiper Connector?

lol I'll look, i have never looked on the back of the car but the light on the dash works. yep all lights work, dash and on the back of the car

On mine that wire seems to be plugged into that upper left (green wire) cavity.
Do you have a wiring schematic?
Where in Ill. are you located. If you're close, you can have a look at mine.

thank you for your reply's, sorry i have been really busy trying to get it running right. By the way I live in Machesney park. By the look of it the red arrow connects threw the plug to the top bulk head top row 2nd from the left and also connects to the bottom bulk head bottom row all the way to the right. i don't see any thing in the wiring that make thoughts connections. the late owner has an unfinished 1969 GTX "need finished assemble" still in the garage with a lot of parts. I hope they don't sell it before i have a chance to check the wiring. thank you for all your help!

Last edited:
Are your odd-random problems electrical related? I've done BH work; but on earlier B's. Is that red arrowed wire coming out through the firewall btw it and the BH? If so, that doesn't look right IMO. Some of the connectors look reworked including the hanging male/female wire routing to the wire in question. But hey, haven't worked on a '69 Plymouth so could be all wet...

actually the red arrow wire goes down to the revers switch. the green arrow wire also goes to the reverse switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back