• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with timing

It could be the cam. I think trying to get back to manufacturer timing specs may be difficult if the cam is materially different from the factory one. My own experience is that when you change something, it's a lot like dominoes. One change creates another and another. In the end, if the car runs good, if there's no knocking or pinging when the engine is under a load then I wouldn't worry about it.

Going way back in years & thoughts-- I remember installing a 108deg. cam in mine and took it out very quickly.Wouldn't run for crap. I thought Mopars liked 112-114 deg. centerline, or am I wrong here?

Balancer

Just a thought my 2 cent..unless I missed in earlier posts

Possibility...if Balancer is the orig one...it could have rotated on the outer ring, seen it happen looks fine but isn't.

Next is the motor is at TDC does the Balancer read the same and if not, make a stop for the spark plug hole rotate the engine in both directions and split the Diff just like cam deg for true TDC on the balancer.

just a thought

green1 - This sounds very familiar except I only have 11.5" of vac. Are you sure the sprockets are aligned correctly? Are you leaving it like it is? At least I now know I am not the only one having this problem.

The cam timing is good, starts before one revolution when warm. The cam doesn't have a big duration, but fast ramps and high lift. We are giving up on the timing marks, who needs them?

Advance to ping, back off; set initial to just barely start, back off. Then adjust mech advance in dist to keep both ends happy.

I have a 70 340, adv 10.5 comp, with a purple cam. .484 lift, 234 dur @ .050. It won't idle under 18 initial, and has 8 vacuum.

Let me throw some more fuel on this fire.

Took it up to 70 degrees, no ping. Gave it advance until it sputtered, no ping. and no difference in performance.

Does a msd al7 actually change the timing, with no knock sensor? Does the factory ecu?

Whe had it to barely cranking hot, light said 36 initial; no difference in running, plugs show no det.

Not trying to hijack, just throwing food for thought out there, with your problem; hoping a guru will see this thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back