• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Vinyl Top

1969 beep beep

Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of restoring my 69 RR. The original car color was F8 with F8 interior. The car originally came with a dark green vinyl roof. It was removed many years ago, which caused the trunk pan and rear window area to rust. I am doing a complete rotisserie restoration but I can't decide to put the vinyl back or leave it painted.

Any issues with vinyl tops today regarding moisture under the vinyl. The car will be stored indoors. It will only see water when I wash it or if I get caught in the rain. My garage is not heated in the winter months. Any feed back will be great.

If it's kept inside it shouldn't be an issue. Just preference,do you want it or not ? I put mine back on.

Reason why yours lasted as long as it did was because chrysler painted the roof prior to installing the vinyl top. Some manufacturers aka Chevrolet let it bare metal, what a nightmare...

With the new paints...Prime and paint the entire roof...Scuff the roof and install the vinyl top, done deal. AS far as holding up with the usage you stated above it will outlive you!

I media blasted the entire car except for the roof because I was going to reinstall the vinyl. I think the car has had 3 coats of paint in its entire life time, this includes the factory paint.

I guess that would be a good base to start with or should it be stripped to bare metal?

I was thinking of scuffing the current paint on the roof and gluing the new vinyl down. The roof looks mint, no bubbling or cracking in the paint.

When you went that far...go a little farther....I never trust an unknown....

I would not media blast any exterior metal. Too risky for warpage...Chem strip it and put some DP on it and paint it....

I plastic media blasted every panel. I had very good luck with that method. No warpage on any panels. The roof I will definitely strip with chemical.

I plastic media blasted every panel. I had very good luck with that method. No warpage on any panels. The roof I will definitely strip with chemical.
Thats rare to see people do these days but the best method for blasting!

Auto Transport Service
Back