• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Helping identifying engine

stangman39

Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently picked up a 69 Charger R/T 4spd 440 project.
I was told the car has been off the road for about 30 years.
All the 440 cars I've owned in the past (not many...2)...I've been able to easily find the flat horizontal area in front of the intake with the 440 number stamped into it. On this engine...I can't seem to find that area...I do see a flat area which is slanted on the side of the block that has the a 4 in it.

Was really hoping this car had the original motor or at least a 440 but after inspecting the engine today I'm starting to have my doubts.

Attached are 2 pics of the engine.

Thanks for the help photo 2(2).JPGphoto 1(1).JPG

There's that flat spot between the fuel line and the plug wires in the top pic. Clean the crud and post a pic. we can go from there

Cool...for some reason I was looking more for a square area more like the size of a matchbox. I'll try to get back to the car tomorrow and look. I have it stored not at my house.

- - - Updated - - -

See this 440 pic attached. See the flat square/rectangle area to the right of the distributor? My engine in the pics above doesn't have this area...that's where I've seen on other 440s I've had the 440 stamp.

Attachments

• 00G0G_30mfu2rraWi_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_30mfu2rraWi_600x450.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 286
Looks like a B engine 383,400 info pad is on the left side on block deck

engine size will also be on side of block below head gasket

It's not a RB 440, it's a LB. And, how do you know it's an R/T ? What's the 5th digit of the VIN?

Was really hoping this car had the original motor or at least a 440 but after inspecting the engine today I'm starting to have my doubts.

I agree with TEK. Those are certainly NOT '69 BB valve covers or exhaust manifolds.

are you sure it's "XS29L9"??

what are pics of fender tag?

are you sure it's "XS29L9"??

what are pics of fender tag?

pics attached. matching info is also stamped on the radiator support.

Attachments

• rtfendertag.jpg
    rtfendertag.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 203
  • rtdashtag.jpg
    rtdashtag.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 200
Sweet. Awesome car. Had a couple ( 69 & 70) years ago, and I'd sure like another.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back